Help, I rounded the set screw in my motor gear

I rounded the set screw on my motor gear and the gear is stuck on the shaft. I think it’s to far in to use an extractor without damaging the threads. I have an extra gear at home. Same teeth count but it is aluminium. Would there be an issue using a steel gear on one motor and an aluminum for the other if I just blow this out with a drill?

No issue with using one aluminum and one steel… The aluminum will just wear down noticeably quicker and need to be replaced

2 Likes

Use a soldering iron to get the grub hot then use the best fitting torx tool to back it out

5 Likes

I’m honestly sick of using set screws. This is the second time I’ve rounded one as it kept loosening it self and every week or so I’d have to re-tighten it, I used loctite too. Is there any other way to hold down a gear without one?

Not that I’m aware of but have you tried using these bolts instead? Fits a larger hex and I’ve had no issues image

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m using the racestar 5065’s with the gear that only has a set screw. I have the steel ones now because I had to destroy the other aluminum one because the set screw got stuck on it.

Literally just came across this thread. Not sure how to properly post the link but there’s people using a loctite retaining compound. Apparently you spread it on, let it set and you’re good to go. no screws needed. And to remove it there’s a video apparently just apply heat (torch or something)

1 Like

I find my issue with stripped screws was solved by buying a decent set of Allen keys… I used cheapo tools prior and it always would Give me issues with my fasteners

2 Likes

Use sleeve retainer or retaining compound, can be somewhat hard to find locally- although often found at Automotive stores

1 Like

OMG this sounds awesome. This is literally the problem I’m having and I just realized I could blow out the screw and still use the steel gear with that. I’m gonna try this. Thanks for finding that.

1 Like

No problem glad to help!

Slam the tool you are using to unscrew it with a hammer hard, and then press with you whole body weight and try to unscrew it

Use the Loctite 680. Works great, no worry about set screws

2 Likes

I really need to look into how locitie works, if red is semi permanent, can’t @ThermalChild put a tiny bit of red loctite on the tip of the hex key, stick it into the stripped set screw, let it cure and be able to pull out the set screw?

2 Likes

Or any other high strength glue

Cheap hex keys neither help stop rounding or fix it

When you’re using dollar store hex keys made of the same or softer material as the fastener, then yeah I’d think it would.

just wondering what part of “cheap” is the issue? I’m starting to think the set screws or bolts are the weakest link. If they were made of stronger metals wouldn’t the hex key not be able to round it? like we would strip a key before any damage can be done to the screw/bolt?

I got it backed out enough to remove it from the motor shaft. It’s now stuck at the top of the gear and isn’t moving. It’s flush enough that I can give that loctite 680 a try. I just did a mad dash to home depot single motor and bought 3 bags of set screws because why not. Just got home and put on my aluminum gear. I’m gonna use this till the loctite 680 comes in. Really appreciate the help guys!

1 Like

The hex key would be made of tool steel typically and very hard, when you buy cheap ones they do not fit very accurately and every time you tighten or loosen the bolt you damage it, thus a quality set of hex keys is a sound investment, I’ve not tried the wera hex plus but have heard good things about them. Always take your time to ensure the tool is properly seated in the head of the bolt

I’m in the EU, I use Teng tools and have Draper pro as well, lately I’ve been going over to Torx, harder to screw them up if you excuse the pun, they are great for motor bolts, I’ll probably pick up a set of torx grubs too like soimage

2 Likes