Help, I rounded the set screw in my motor gear

My next question would be, how much of that loctite 680 do I put on? Do you just cover the motor shaft with it?

hmmm, torx seems like a good idea.

I recently swapped the button heads that came with my motor and mounts to socket heads just to be safe. Even then I striped one. Luckily because it was a socket head I was able to unscrew it with using a locking plier (Leatherman Crunch)

Guys grub screws and keyways suck, constant rattling, screws backing out, pullies moving out of place and constand adjustment are things of the past.

On a sidenote, I just heard Toys “R” Us is closing their doors because of all those suckers recommending to buy on Amazon on forums instead on a retail store.

Before I forget here is the link of the Loctite compound on amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-442-68015-Retaining-Compound-Viscosity/dp/B000O05BXW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1530226947&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+680

2 Likes

what do ya’ll think of these?

Marketing jargon states: bits made of premium S2, high strength chrome vanadium, precisely and automatically machined bit tips to ensure accurate size.

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-10288A-Master-Socket-32-Piece/dp/B004LE0XBC/ref=sr_1_26_sspa?s=power-hand-tools&ie=UTF8&qid=1530228493&sr=1-26-spons&keywords=hex+key+set&psc=1

1 Like

Wera hex-plus are the bomb. Worth every penny.

3 Likes

Man that’s a lot of pennies!!! Are those rounded tips an issue?

They are really worth it. I am glad I made the plunge for a good set of hex wrenches. Wera hex-plus is great.

well hex bit is hex bit no matter how precise. I would only use big one with drill set like that. hex plus is waaaay better. the rounded part is allows slight angle for easy crewing and u have to torq it down with the flat one.

yea i use those and have had several heads snap clean off…

Ok, My loctite 680 came in today. I just applied some to my steal gear. This gear has a stripped grub screw in it that will not come out (it’s the steel evolve 15t gear on 200kv racerstars). So I am completely relying on this to work as if it fails there’s no wobbly/rattling grub screw as a back up.

Sand the motor axle and the internal hole of the pulley to avoid it from getting stucked when you remove them with heat

I do not plan on ever removing it. But I really appreciate the idea of using this loctite. Saved me from having to go insane with the tiny grub screws. I really hate them. Is this a permanent solution or will it need to be reapplied eventually?

It’s eternal, maybe your grand children will try to remove it when they grow pretty old

3 Likes

Awesome lol, I had my aluminum gear on for 4 days and I was starting to go crazy with the rattling even though it was tight. Looking forward to not hearing that sound ever again. Thanks man.