Help me defend this esk8ter

Ya I’ve straight out threatened drives who’ve pulled this shit on me, and even kicked one and dented their car.

That probably isn’t a good idea. That gives a really bad name to Esk8rs.

That wasn’t on a eskate just my downhill deck, ass hole just followed me about 2 feet away honking and screaming. At the stop light we had it out.

it’s actually a great city, super modern and clean, really diverse, in fact one of the best racially integrated cities in asia.

judging reality by fb comments is like [insert some witty metaphor].

first of all, how dare you.

second, being asian I’m afraid I’d have to agree with you. growing up hearing older people basically call black people monkeys really turned me off to their way of thinking. dated exclusively non asian girls when I was younger to piss off my parents.

it tends to be a problem with immigrants into the US, and also within ethnically and culturally homologous populations. but this can be said of any area with a largely dominant group of people.

2 Likes

I’m Singaporean. And I do skate on roads sometimes, but mostly only in the dead of night. I have to say do not like the attitude of Singaporeans, they can get extremely ugly, and feel extremely entitled.

In this case, while I do not like either the tone or the way the post and the comments are written, laws here are very strict, and we rarely have a say in what gets passed in government. But political issues aside, feelings are very high against pmd users at the moment.

Pmd riders here mostly use scooters, and almost every one of them uses something illegal by our laws or have very little respect for traffic rules, on the day this post was made, there were two accidents involving pmd users, one died shortly after. In recent times, there have been people who have taken their pmds onto our expressways, riding in the middle lanes and ignoring other vehicles. Cutting across lanes or ignoring traffic lights is not unheard of, in fact it’s rather common for them.

If this guy was really riding along that particular road, then I would say it was a bad move. It’s a particularly busy road even on non peak hours and when they talk about him holding up traffic, I would say that’s more than likely. Not to mention there are perfectly serviceable pavements on each side of that road that he can ride on.

There’s also a kind of culture here in Singapore that’s called ‘spoil market’. It covers a few things. but in this case, it would be doing something that alot of other people do, but getting yourself noticed enough that the authorities might take action. ‘spoiling the market’ for others in that sense.

While I do think that if enough pmd users set a good enough example, and show we’re not reckless idiots. perception of us might change with time, but this guy almost certainly doesn’t qualify if he’s riding along that road and disrespecting the people who tell him to get off.

1 Like

No one has bothered to comment about what laws Singapore has regarding this issue.

I’d bet it’s pretty strict given that feeding pigeons is illegal and possession of drugs gets you the death penalty. If you’re unsure about it, its probably illegal in Singapore :joy:

1 Like

Hmmm. off the top of my head, the newest laws regarding pmds are they need to be capped to 35kph for ebikes, and 25kph for everything else. There’s size limitations too that I can’t rmb, and only ebikes are allowed on some roads.

1 Like

You can help him pay the fine if you want. Or would you volunteer to go to jail on his behalf? Rhetorical question, of course. It’s like saying “lets defend drug trafficking!!”.

Yes, much hyperbole i know.

Would do that, if it didn’t require facebook login. No thanks

1 Like

I suggest to report the post for racism :wink:

Guys I am from Singapore, calm your tits down. There are reasons why there is so much “hate”.

1. Deep down, we know we are shitty drivers, yes I said it Singaporeans suck at driving.
  2. that’s why it links to “hate”, we do not want to kill anyone, hence we have very strict law and rules. If your vehicle does not have a license plate, get off the road. And yes we feel very strongly about this, as just in 2017 alone, there are multiple death due to accidents involving motor vehicles and electric scooter/skateboards
  3. Referring to point no.2, why? it’s because Singapore is so small that every road you go to, there are many cars, it’s like LA traffic in most part of Singapore.
  4. People living in such a pack and hectic city are angry most of the time
  5. We refer to caucasian etc etc not because we are racist, it’s because we know that it is a normal culture for you guys to ride along the road, being carefree and enjoy the moment (which I like btw). Hence, we associate this scenario by referring to this rider as Caucasian rider. Not that we are some racist bugger that hate other races But trust me asian are more conservative than you think. We judge you like this “omg look at this caucasian riding his esk8 on the road like he is his own country”
  6. In recent years, there has been a major influx of foreigners/expats into Singapore. The culture is changing too drastically. Every foreigner seems to behave like it’s their home country. Singaporeans do not like drastic change.

You have to understand Singaporeans are not devils. I hope you guys know more about the circumstances before shooting down the post as an ignorant racist attempt to bring down eskating.

HELL, we don’t even have a bicycle lane. I think with this you should have a rough idea how strict we are about what vehicles can be on the road.

Sorry for my bad English. If you have any questions, feel free to ask me. We are nice people.

it’s not just a white dude. any dude on a skateboard on the road will get fuck by the internet, refer to my post

Meh…they don’t exactly treat cyclists very nicely either. And I’m not talking about electric ones…just regular ones, going in groups just riding for exercise.

i dont have good temper so i try to avoid riding in busy trafic rd to avoid fight. but driver dont realize how fast esk8 can go. even tho i go faster than speed limit, cars always try to go faster than me. not sure why but this can cause accidents.

id say city need to look into this, and build more bike lane or slow lane or put up signed for sharing with other vehicles.

in here toronto, surprizingly downtown is more forgiving with slow vehicles on side than up town. I guess they are used to it. we need more esk8 to make people use to seeing and sharing the rd.

Come to Singapore and see how you can share the road. It works for you in Toronto, does not mean it works in Singapore. We are the world densest country with population over 5m.

i didnt mean to say towards singapore. but i lived seoul south korea, one of the densest city in the world to the point where u cant even walk sometimes. try NewYork in mid summer it is denser than singapore.

i meant to say everyone in general. people arnt used to it period. people still think it is skateboard that jump and do 50 50 on rails and bench.

im not defending this guy either. i dont know the law in singapore but i think it’s his fault to creat traffic jam if he indeed did that.

And u too don’t know a thing about toronto. people randomly spit at you and drivers are crazy enough to rd kill random people if u didnt careful. insurance cost is the among the highest in entire nation here. so dont get ugly on me dude

I was referring to them being so very specific about him being caucasian…

that’s cause it’s a fact, he’s a caucasian. if it’s me that’s on camera, they would write it as “damn chinese boy on eskateboard” The only reason he is being scrutinized is because he broke the law, not because he is white.

I don’t get why you guys are so angry over a descriptive term. Are you guys finding something to be angry about just like the people in that post? Then aren’t you guys no better than them? Irony at its best

1 Like

I like your noodles…