Help: Robot battery

I’m working with @DarkVortex to make a robot with a 4s1p battery, would we still need a BMS for something that small or can we skip it and just use a charger?

If we need it what are thoughts on these items

1 Like

@DerelictRobot

3 Likes

If your using batteries you need a BMS. If you can charge to 95% and discharge to no more than 30% everytime you are ok for a few charge cycles, then you need to balance charge manually. A BMS makes life a lot easier.

4 Likes

When in doubt, bring in the robot experts haha!

1 Like

I’m not sure if @DerelictRobot Has the same number of calls as @mmaner but here goes

@DerelictRobot @DerelictRobot @DerelictRobot

2 Likes

I’m just offering advice based on experience. @DerelictRobot is an expert and professional in the. I don’t he will dane to visit you plebes :laughing:

2 Likes

Haha I meant it as a joke because whenever I see KaramQ TSG you to call a thread he tags you 3 times in one line… :rofl:(ps mmaner advice is always correct even if it doesn’t sound so)

1 Like

This is entirely up to you as a design choice. Personally I find it easier to build in a BMS just so you don’t have to bother carrying around and hooking up a balance charger, but I’ve done both.

I recently built out a 4S8P pack for a friend who is building a hexapod- using a similar BMS to what you picked out there. Charging just requires a CC/CV charger intended for li-ion/lipo.

2 Likes

I only did that once buddy

1 Like

Only time I ever saw you close a thread :wink: