Help! Why is this happening?

Of course.

Please tell me:

what vesc do you have Are you runing sensor less or sensores motors?

Get this version of firmware and ESC tool software:

On the link you will find the software, when you connect to the vesc via USB to your computer go to firmware and upload the c I rresoi fing firmware, they are built in the software

This is normal behaviour for a motor starting from standstill going full throttle without sensors.

Watch this video

The firmware that you now have on your vesc is for the vesc tool. Which is basically the bldc tool but with alot more features.

1 Like

I am used a Torqueboards VESC 4.12, and a Turnigy Sk3 6374 sensorless.

I understand that since the motor is sensorless it causes for unsmooth startups, but the issue it is never reaches full speed

at no point did you mention speed beeing an issue. So what is your real question then?

Did you download the ESC from the link I gave you?, did you write the corresponding firmware?

Trying it right now, I have the program open, but when I navigate to the firmware tab I don’t see the file you mentioned. Under hardware version I see “410 & 411 & 412”, but only see the VESC_Default firmware. I also tried to show non-default options and didn’t see it.

Flash the firmware to the 4.12 default firmware.

1 Like

Correct, flash 4.12.

Alright, Unfortunately I am getting three blinking red lights from the VESC with any movement of my throttle, which I understand based on my reading means that the DRV chip is done for do to my lack of knowledge of doing motor detection prior to spinning the motor up. So unless I hear otherwise I will most likely be getting a new VESC. Do you all think it is possible that this could also be the cause of the twitching in the motor? Thanks so much for you help though!! I think I will get a FOCBOX to run FOC mode through the BDLC tool.

No…has already been explained by Benjamin. If you read things like ‘‘smooth sensorless startup’’ in marketing text, it’s just that…marketing.

Read up on things like:

• Sensored.
  • Sensorless
  • BLDC
  • FOC (and why you should NOT use it with torqueboards VESC)
  • Motor max/min, bat max/min

The VESC-Tool is almost self-explanatory except for some of the terminology mentioned above. Steps to be taken:

1. Upgrade firmware.
  2. Motor setup wizard.
  3. Input setup wizard.
  4. Adjust safety features (read up on failsafe!)

Any other order will result in your board misbehaving, not performing according to standards, the board killing you, you killing the board, a car killing you, your board shooting off into the distance without you on it, brakes not working or working poorly, your power supply blowing up or shortening the life span, etc.

There is no plug & play.

3 Likes

Okay, I mentioned that I would get a FOCBOX, I assume based on the name that FOC mode is good to go with this VESC? XD

I am currently running dual focbox running in sensored foc mode. If you get a focbox you will still need to update the firmware if you are going to use the vesc tool software. Are you running this on windows or Mac? Before you start messing around with any vesc watch the video I had posted the link to as well as this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N024tVWpmg They are pretty good over views of how to set up the vesc. I did a lot of research before I even attempted to do the vesc set up. I had some issues but where more on sensor detection but since you are running sensorless you wont have them. Sensorless you will need to do a push start to get your board going once it is configured and under load.

1 Like

Also in this video is really simple explained https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1glLDO-EjA&t=1128s. Of course you need to do it only once since you are running single drive

2 Likes

Cool thanks for the info! Also I am using windows.