Help with bms/charging

I’ve had bit of conflicting information surrounding what I need in regards to a bms/balance charger etc. I plan on running batteries>loopkey>esc>motor, and using a balance charger to charge the batteries separately, is that all I need to run or do I need a bms aswell for protection or? thanks

1 Like

Without a BMS you would need to monitor your pack voltage if not each cells individual voltage. Discharging past 3.5v under load will damage lithium ion or lipo cells.

something like this? know where I can find all the other wire/cables/connectors for a 2x 5s lipo build, no one ever seems to include them in the materials list

1 Like

What kind of connectors do you have on your 5s lipos? And what kind of connectors do you want to use? I’d recommend xt90 anti spark connectors for your loop key.

And thats just a picture of a BMS. Do you have a link? There are bare bones BMS and some that are programmable and have bluetooth apps. Also theres the choice between separate port and common port charging which you dont have to worry about since you’re using a separate balance charger.

What you will need to go from 2x 5s lipos to connect to a BMS is a wiring harness. Like this:

xt90 and JST-XH balance connectors, ill use xt90 and yeah that’s what I’ve ordered for the key

1 Like

out of stock and can’t find in Aus, could I attach 2x female jst’s to the 10s cable the comes on the bms

1 Like

Yes that would work too. Be very careful with not only the wiring but connecting the BMS in the right order. Also I would shop around and get reviews for BMS units and check out what features they offer.

1 Like

what do you think? I plan on bypassing also

how do you calculate whether you need the 20,25 or 30a version

1 Like

You’ll need to figure out the maximum amp draw from your motors and what your batteries are capable of. Then add in 30% more just to give some headroom. 30a sounds like it would be too low.