Help with dual vesc setup

There we go. Disable “Send sttaus over CAN” at the Master and enable it at the slave. Don’t forget the reboot for both. Have fun

Yeah that’s what I did have it set as originally I now have it so send status over can is on slave and not master like you said…reboot still only one spins up? It’s got to be a setting as motor detection works!

Go to the Terminal Tab on the Master and type in can_devs What does it show?

Seems that your CAN cable doesn’t have a solid connection or the VESCs have a issue with the CAN ports.

If you have “Send status over CAN” enabked at the Slave and don’t see anything with this command then they can’t communicate with each other. Check the CAN wire with a multimeter. And where did you get the VESC from.

Vesc is from diy.com It must be the canbus conections I’ll check now

Disconnected the canbus from the slave and tested that end with a multimeter nothing! will try wire it again tomo it’s 1:30 am here,even though my board lights up like a Christmas tree it’s freezing will have to wait till tomorrow thanks for your help @Ackmaniac

And @Sander cheers Bro

1 Like

I mean test with the multimeter the connection from one side to the other. The mode when the multimeter makes a beep when a electrical connection exists.

Yeah there’s power between them must be the jst

Are you trying to spin both with the arrow keys on the keyboard?

If you do that you will always spin only one motor, I’d also suggest to flash the ackmaniac firmware if you don’t have any other recommended solution to test

Try this:

On the Master VESC - the one with the remote receiver on it

1. Plug in the cable, press connect then press “Read Configuration”

2. Select “App Configuration” then “General” on the left, set the Controller ID value to 10

3. If you are using “PPM”, select “Multiple ESC’s over Can” & set the Control Mode to “Duty Cycle no reverse” then press “Write Configuration”

4. Ensure that all the other control modes “ADC & Nunchuck” are disabled then press “Write Configuration”

5. Test your controller, only the master motor should spin.

Now for the Slave VESC

1. Plug in the cable, press connect then press “Read Configuration”

2. Select “App Configuration” then “General” on the left, set the Controller ID value to 2

3. On the General tab, set APP to use to No app, then press “Write Configuration” then press reboot

4. On the PPM tab, set the Control Mode to “Duty Cycle no reverse” & select “Multiple ESC’s over Can”, then press “Write Configuration”

5. Ensure that all the other control modes “ADC & Nunchuck” are disabled then press “Write Configuration”

6. Test your controller, both motors should be spinning

One major difference is I’m on “Duty Cycle no reverse” where you are using “Current no reverse with brake” give that a change

2 Likes

So i changed the jst lead still nothing @halifax21 thanks man did all the above changed controller ids to 2 and 10 if I change to duty cycle my motor acts weird pull the throttle and nothing then few seconds later full throttle! where as current with no reverse works responsive but have hardly any brake. Still can’t get it to spin dual after reboot iv run out of ideas!

Seems that something is wrong with your VESCs. Last thing that comes to my mind is that you might have different Firmware versions but you use the same Version of BLDC-tool for it so it also should be fine. Last chance is to upgrade to version 2.18 from the official source or to my firmware and try it with that, But i don’t think that it will help. I think on one of your VESC’s the CAN pins don’t work.

Both vesc are running firmware version 2.18 luckly I have 5 more vesc’s at my work unit that i bought from diy.com will pop down there now and grab another if that works then must be the vesc if not I’ll go over the settings again with a fine tooth comb!

@Ackmaniac you were right it’s the vesc’s replaced both now have dual wheel drive but the slave spins the motor the wrong way?

Just switch any 2 of the 3 phase wires. Then the motor will spin the other way.

1 Like

Thanks for the help @Ackmaniac @halifax21 got there in the end! Not sure where I stand with returning the vesc’s to diy.com hopefully I’m covered as they work on there own just not the canbus!

1 Like

Why not just use a receiver splitter wire? The canbus is just a complication.

1 Like

Yeah I’m starting to realise that I have multiple vescs that the canbus doesn’t work on but luckly now have two that communicate im just gona put the others in single wheel drive boards.