Help with new board to use on the golf course

Where’d you find that hadlebar? How does it mount to your board?

Looks great!

1 Like

I haven’t built one yet. I just got the ok from my course to use one. They had to check on insurance and with board members if it would be ok. I’m thinking it will be a good winter project for me. It looks like yours is coming along well. What have you used for your build?

Nice idea for a build and a nice way to save some money while learning some new stuff.

I worked on a golf course for a couple seasons(maintaining the greens, bunkers, fairways etc…) so tire wise I would not recommend any tires with big knobs on them because of the possibility of them spinning and leaving a great big brown grass-less line. If you look at all the tires used by golf kart and machinery you’ll see that almost all the tires are tread less or if there is thread they are not knobby. Here’s a pic of a mower used to cut rough and fairways (presently in the rough cutting config). fairway_machine

IMO the best option for tires for your application would be hand cart wheels/tires they have a little bit of thread so you dont spin every where. They can be run at relatively low psi (helps with traction) and they are cheap too. The only problem I foresee using those would be the need to adapt the hub to fit traditional trucks. Another option would be running 8" mbs roadie tires. They have a bit less tread but I think they would work just fine and there is a lot of support out there for mbs hubs. If you want to go the cheap easy route I’d get a used mountain board and work from there. Check your local classified they come up from time to time at really low prices.

Here’s a pic of the roadie tire. mbs%20roadie%20tire

To respect the budget and speed dual 6354 or something in that size would work. FOCBOX for esc is a must because of the ability to run FOC in a reliable way. This will greatly help you to not spin all the time with smooth controlled acceleration. Low KV motors and big gearing ratio would help to with smooth start and hill climbing capabilities. Battery wise cheapest is Hobby Lipo, sexiest but also more expensive Li-Ion pack. For the battery once your choice of motor and gearing is done it’ll dictate the number of cells in series requires for your desired top speed. Keep everything as simple as possible it’ll keep the price down.

I don’t know your experience as a builder but for a 1000$ maybe look to grab a used build for sale it would save you time and a lot of money. An old MBS board build or a street boar with sixshooters would work. The best would be a trampa build but those have usually a big price tag attached to them.:money_with_wings:

Good luck with your build hope I helped a bit!

Best regards.

2 Likes

I made the handle bar. This one pictured is steel pipe. Bottom is a pipe flange to mount to board. vertical bar is threaded into flange. The tee is from hardware store. (SteelTek 1-1/4-in x 90-Degree Silver Galvanized Steel Structural Pipe Fitting Short Tee) Then I just used short pieces of aluminum to grips with hockey tape. I later added $5 hand grips.

I have changed the board. See pictures / update at bottom of thread.

2 Likes

Updated my previous board. Had a new carbon fiber board made. Its a bit longer. Also, replaced steel bar with carbon fiber handle bar. I put on hand grips, cell phone holder, also using “bag boy” parts for my bag holder from a push cart. I’m working a wired throttle to mount on the handle bar and changing out batteries for lithium ion, currently lead acid.

20180706_074754

6 Likes

Belts are fine. Motor & battery setup are key. I’m 225 and board is 45 and I can do 20 mph. It’s the length of time of the ride for me that gets me. I can do 9 holes no problem. 18 can’t do. My batteries currently are lead acid, (heavy/no real holding capacity). Mine has plenty of power to go over hills, etc. I’m working on (2) 10s8p for real extended rides.

A problem I have found is mud flaps. Fine if you are off road boarding, bring the mudd. Want to play golf at 730 am when the ground is wet or heavy dew, then prepared to get soaked without mudd guards. I have made templates, but have printed my guards yet. So I use it mainly in the afternoon when its dry.

Other options looking into, phone charger, bottle/beer holder. A great place to accessories is Clic Gear. Add and remove options for golf.

1 Like

Nice macncheese I actually own a clicgear 8.0 4wheel version and I love it. Another thing that would help is a umbrella holder too I’ve found having that shade can be crucial on super sunny hot days.

What kind of wheels are these? Are they 8” or 10”?

10" but I’ve looked into 8" I am waiting till I make my battery.

Dude I have been searching for 10” wheels for months now! Do you know what their name is, and Where you got them? :slight_smile:

If you’re only against the pre-built route because a Golfboard or Golf Skate Caddy costs $5K+, check out this eBay link for used Golf Skate Caddy’s for ~$1k+. It seems like maybe the seller is a golf course or someone who is trying to sell off a bunch of these, and they look like the best, cheapest pre-built option available.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/263769524227

1 Like

https://www.ebay.com/i/222680780889?chn=ps&var=521535546950

1 Like

That looks awesome, how does it go? I have been thinking of cheap alternatives to buying a cart and this popped into mind. Where do you shop for all the parts? Would it be possible to make a 4wd one for wet conditions? I am completely new to electric skateboards so I have alot of research to do but if you could point me in the right direction ie where you shop or even a parts list to for that board, that would be a huge help. Anything on it that you would change? How does it handle a set of clubs hanging off that front?

Do you have a full list of where you bought all your parts? Looking to build something just like this for golfing at my course.