Help with overheating motors on my all terrain board

So 5-10 minutes into a ride the motors will overheat and one powers off completely and the other slows down to a crawl after cooling off they work again for another 5-10mins etc. I have this board from Diyeboards - 36'' Dual Motor 6'' Wheels All-terrian Electric Skateboard 10S5P [Volans City Off-Road 10S5P] - $748.00 : DIYEboard.com -DIY Eboard-DIY Electric Skateboard, DIY Electric Skateboard Parts and Kits-Buy & Build Or Customize Your Own Electric Skateboard. DIY&Building An Electric Motorized Skateboard & Longboard on Diyeboard.com Any ideas what could be going wrong? Should I get more powerful motors? If so any recommendations of what would work with this board?

1 Like

It says that you can have dual 5065 or dual 6354 motors on the product page which ones do you have?And what ESC?

something faulty, i never overheated a single 63mm on 8" pneumatics

edit: that esc will overheat really quick on AT wheels though

1 Like

Your esc cannot run the currents needed for that setup. I know because this also happened to me on a makerx retro and it overheated. The motors will always run hot since you’re adding current to the motors, however, it’s when your esc over heats that causes this problem.

Best way to solve it is to get a vesc 6 based esc. It’ll solve the heating issues guaranteed.

1 Like

I have dual 5065 motors and this esc V1.1 Dual Belt Motor Sine Wave FOC ESC Speed Controller [V1.1 Dual Belt Motor FOC ESC] - $78.00 : DIYEboard.com -DIY Eboard-DIY Electric Skateboard, DIY Electric Skateboard Parts and Kits-Buy & Build Or Customize Your Own Electric Skateboard. DIY&Building An Electric Motorized Skateboard & Longboard on Diyeboard.com

That makes a lot of sense I did burn through my first esc and had to replace it

Ok thanks for the help, can you recommend a vesc 6 that would work for this setup?

I think that would be a bit overkill. vesc 4.20 would be enough for 3000w and also way cheaper.

I don’t mind going overkill if it means its future proofed for upgrades in the future

That is much cheaper, thanks. Would this 4.2 vesc you linked hold up if I chose to upgrade the motors in the future?

Would upgrade mean just motor mount and motors or a whole new truck and everything?

And your battery only has 50a continues discarge current so if you would take stronger motors then you would also need the more expensive vesc 6.6 and then you would also need a new battery and everything which would be so expensive that it would make more sense to just build a completely new board with that money.

man forget. 4.2 its one trash after another

Get a makerx if you’re going decent. DV6 is pretty good. You can also get a xeneth. But if you got money, get a stormcore 60D.

Thanks for the help everyone, I ordered the stormcore 60D. I’ll update once its up and running

1 Like