Hi5ber - Let's collab to build the ULTIMATE carbon fiber DIY Electric Skateboard

What’s up everybody! Brian here from Hi5ber Boards. In case you haven’t heard, I make some of the sickest fully carbon fiber longboards/skateboards available on the market. Check it out: www.hi5ber.com . I started making boards back in 2011, and have made considerable progress with my manufacturing and the business since then. I’ve designed upwards of 25+ models, pushing out 6-10 or so new shapes each year. I have a strong passion for 3D modeling and bringing my CAD designs to life. I repeatedly get emails from customers looking to convert their Hi5ber board into an electric one, as well as looking for any recommendations of which of my existing boards would be best. I joined this forum to get some input from the electric skateboard community on developing a DIY friendly “shell” of a board, designed specifically for electric skateboard builders. I think we, as a collaborative effort, can make the ultimate carbon fiber electric board! If you’d like to contribute to the collaboration, please give any information on what you think would be the ultimate e-board. Things like: length, width, wheelbase, general shape, enclosure dimensions*, etc.

40 Likes

I’ll buy one from the first production run.

1 Like

Great to have you on the forum, never knew you were on here :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the input! Consider me to be totally ignorant when it comes to electric boards. What is 10S and 12S? What size enclosure would it take to fit 60 of these batteries? Length x Width x Depth…

3 Likes

Welcome, I love to see manufacturer’s come here for input. I would say the 2 most important aspects would be concave, probably a tub, and a built in enclosure with wire channels. If you made that I bet you would sell as many as you could make. Hell, I’d by 2 at the beginning.

8 Likes

I like the idea for wire channels! Suggestions like these are what I’m here for! What I have in mind is a deck with a built-in enclosure with a detachable lid. I’m 100% open to suggestions.

7 Likes

Holy $hit @scepterr looks like we are in luck. Our favorite deck maker is here!

@Hi5ber I love the Zenith’s size and concave. @Eboosted is currently making a custom enclosure for it.

If you look up the original Enertion Raptor. That’s the CF deck that I like to use. It opens up from the top for components and the lid is Kevlar I think? Because CF would block the signal from our controller

Not sure whose image this is, but he had measurements written on his 10s3p battery (with huge BMS, Switch & LCD) 80mm x 140mm, then the rest of that room is for ESCs and receiver

5 Likes

I would definitely keep it simple. I would suggest a single large channel or 4 small channels on each side of the back truck that follow a rounded path to the inside of the enclosure. Or, and this may be easier, just make the enclosure overlap the slots for the phase wires so you have internal access to them.

That sounds awesome.

Another aspect I would look at is making a slor in the lid for a volt meter. You could standardize the volt meter shape by using this Drok DV Volt meter and either sell it with the enclosure or point people too it. Maybe add a blank that screws in/out for people that do not want a volt meter, although I doubt there would be many.

1 Like

I think a simple CF deck with a top opening that can be sealed with a gasket would be ideal. It would make the board very resistant to water, and would allow easy access to electronics.

I say the optimal size is 38" and maybe 9-10" wide for a longboard. Perhaps a wheel base of about 30", and no kicktail. The reason for no kicktail is that larger boards are usually dual or quad drive with big batteries, so you need as much space as possible to accomate that, and can’t afford to lose space to a kicktail.

Or make a cruiser that is maybe 28-30" long with a smaller compartment (cruisers usually have smaller batteries) and a kickball.

3 Likes

lol, i sent y’all and 121°c an email about a design i had and never heard back from either xD

I’m of the same opinion as b264 on battery size, 60 is indeed perfect.

Also design the board to allow maximum turn radius with 107mm wheels and/or 6 to 8 " pneumatic wheels without needing risers to avoid wheel bite.

2 Likes

that’s gonna be insane.

3 Likes

Just make sure when you get it going to offer different lengths to suit a larger market. Today’s custom boards only one option which forces you to redesign your electronics to suit the board. I understand that it costs a lot to offer different boards but like I said when you get it going

3 Likes

Awesome!!! I’ve been drooling over your boards for a while now!

1 Like

@Hi5ber, hey Brian and welcome. Consider making a small cruiser board around 27in. With a top enclosure cover. Inner size could be 33 x 140 x 330mm. This way you could fit a 10S2P flat pack 18650 cells (20 cells) and a BMS, plus 2x VESC and receiver, like this one from eskating.eu Electric-skateboard-10s2p-battery-lithium-power-pack-Eskating A shape like penny nickel or LOU board but sexier, with a kicktail. Maybe even a 27in drop through deck (that’s my wild imagination ahahah)

Capable of installing a 10in total, longboard trucks

2 Likes

I doubt that would satisfy high end buyers…

10 Likes

sounds oddly specific :thinking:

2 Likes

pm’ed you.

eMTB aside… all the decks I ride are downhill, 25-27 inches skateboard wheelbase ~34 inches long and up to 10’ wide. The trend is for bigger batteries so make as much space as you can for storage.

I’d follow the downhill model with the exception of making the deck a bit wider, eSk8s need to be safe and stable. This could accommodate more cells and also give you a bit more leverage over the trucks with the super wide trucks that are being used to fit in motors. If done right it could be a win/win. Nothing too crazy an extra 1/2 a inch to a inch and you will also make more battery space.

not sure if even possible but the surface that would be in contact with electronics be NOT carbon fiber as it’s conductive. i remember someone building a CF enclosure and shorting out their battery.

@Titoxd10001 build a CF enclosure but the final layer, on the inside, was fiberglass.

2 Likes