Hobbyking Turnigy Vesc

I’m not a vesc guy @hobbyking_ian I’m on rc speed controllers, but from what I have read the firmware you have on the vedder designed esc’s you have atm is a older version that needs to be updated before use…

I’m sure one of the vesc :nerd: will chime in any moment :slight_smile:

The fact that you don’t know what I’m referring to doesn’t bode well for results on this matter, but you sell a version of the VESC under the guise of a 50A skateboard ESC.

The hardware version is pretty ancient, the latest iteration in that form factor is at version 4.12 with updated and uprated components to cope with FOC.

To be a worth while purchase, I’d suggest you update the hardware to that at least for the time being anyway, but then work to improve things (if you’re saying you build these things) to bring it up to FOC-Box standards/specifications. If you do this at a reasonable price, you’d sell loads!

We’re here to help you improve your products…

3 Likes

In my opinion the community would really like is a well made, reliable, nicely priced version of the vesc that is available off the shelf all over the world. Also made by a supplier who gives back directly to Benjamin Vedder.

1 Like

I agree @bigben, and I think @hobbyking_ian is here on his own accord wanting to help and asking what needs to be done to improve HK service/products, I’m sure he doesn’t make all the decisions. This is a real opportunity to be productive and work with someone on the inside. Sometimes I wonder how people actually talk to people in the real world?

this doesn’t really help does it?

Personally I think trying to upgrade the old VESC4.xx design too much is a bad business decision over the medium to long term, energy could be spent else where. It is a old design and will only be used for budget builds going forward, get the most out with the least effort. Maybe limit voltage, Field Orientated Control (provides quiet operation & smooth start up) and it would be better to pursue BV’s new design the VESC6 that does it all…

but hey what do I know :smirk:

1 Like

What I suggested was a quick and cheap win in the short term whilst better solutions are worked on for the longer term…

In business, it’s an idea to have a product that’s bringing in the cash, a ‘cash cow’ that might not be the best product you can produce, but you can make some decent money with it, that can then fund r&d to either make a better version of that product or towards developing a new product…

Like I said, of they even just bright it up to 4.12 spec at a HK price point, they’d seek like hot cakes…

1 Like

So what is 4.12 spec bro? what needs to be done? & what is the outcome or benefit to what they have now?

Some components need to be upgraded as stated previously and that’s been covered loads of time before on this forum…

1 Like

Not everybody runs FOC. If you enjoy tinkering and risk blowing it up go ahead but dont blame HK and the other makers of the Vescs for not being up to date on certain parts. Don’t expect to buy an iphone X for the price of an iphone 7. Ive been running 4.10 enertion with 190kv for over a year now. Only blown drv i got was due to the motor wires touching/shorting out without me knowing.

1 Like

@hobbyking_ian one thing you guys could look at is putting a 3mm keyway on your current range of 63mm motors. If you were to use silicone phase wires too I think you would be on to a winner.

2 Likes

strand count on motor wires is low, so they will never be flexy, I’d rather see fixed posts I could attach flexible wire to… as for a keyway, it just weakens the bond of my loctite :wink:

Well it passed test one. Hasn’t instantly fried after 30 mins on the bench. Its 12s. Added extra 100v 680uf caps, heatsinks and cable tied all wires together. Its firmware updated fine using vesc tool. Ill update after first ride in a few days.

1 Like

100v cap? is that safe?

Why not? Capacitor voltage rating is just it’s maximum. It does not mean it will store and discharge 100V.

Completely safe, you’ll get more life out of them not running near max voltage and harder to damage with V spikes. A few of the smd cap upgrades bump them from 50V to 100V

Just wondering :slight_smile: only ask because the default electrolytic caps are 63v

Yeah it is alright to have some breathing room, not dangerous :slight_smile:

Still all good so far. First ride, 30 minutes of riding.

12s 2p 5000mah 30c 1 x 6374 192kv 5:1 gear ratio. 8 inch wheels

Latest firmware 60,000 limit

Mods Removed Heatshrink Added 2 x 100v panasonic low esr caps 2 heatsinks Fully enclosed with 50mm fan cooling everything (powered with a 12v buck).

I cant believe how powerful just a single motor is. I still plan to move to two motors for reliability and to stress the vesc. less. I need to add hall sensors too i think.

If you find somebody selling the internal hall PCB let me know, I can’t find them. APS has them…but out of stock

@scepterr Yes same problem here. I would get from aps but shipping to Aus is nearly 3x the price of the actual pcb. Let me know too please @danielz

iIl be using external sensors (I think) as my motor is inside an enclosure anyway.