Hot Air Soldering - changing a DRV8302

hey guys,

seems one of the new enertion vescs arrived with a DRV8302 fault and Im not sure how jason will be able to support me here in germany, so I was thinking: why not buy a cheap hot air soldering station and try to fix it yourself (assuming that its back in order with replacing or resoldering the drv8302 chip)? seems you get the cheap ones for just 50€ and a drv8302 swap from a german vesc support guy http://www.lp-electronic.com/vesc/ costs already about 60€, so might actually be the cheapest solution which also enables me to do resolve some PCB issues on my own.

now question to the pros: hot air soldering stations for 50€ - do you think Ill be able to actually swap a drv8302 with that? example: https://www.amazon.de/dp/B007H1U1YK/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_z07KxbKZ5E802

1 Like

I saw your post earlier that concerns me little since I placed an order of 4 from Enertion 3weeks ago.

This is going to help me a lot if I get faulty one.

@whitepony I had the same issue and also chose to buy q reflow station instead of paying someone else to do it. About midway through the thread below is a lot of advice from folks here on the forum.

http://www.electric-skateboard.builders/t/vesc-drv8302-failures-and-repair-options/4201

1 Like

I finally hooked mine up and found that one of them was DOA (Order #333X)

One worked fine, but the other one in parallel did not. I tried it on a 12V PSU pin just to see if I could power up the LEDs, but still nothing. When I plugged it directly into my battery, it sparked (Yay for continuity!) but no power. Looks like I’ll have to sit on my hands a little longer.

@treenutter thx for the link!

@anon94428844 awh, that sucks, but hard to explain a fully dead vesc - from what I know they flash the latest firmware and some rspec settings - so it probably shouldve worked that far.

my vesc powers up, I can connect with the gui, but dev8302 errors prevents any motor commutation - thought that this could actually slip quality control if they dont actually test the vescs with motors attached … cause everything else works fine.

They certainly do that at the factory and it’s odd. They were plugged in parallel, so user error should have killed both but only one ever had lit LEDs. Bullets had heat shrink and were connected to motors, so they didn’t short either. I’m not going to take matters into my own hands at this point - I can wait for an RMA.

VESCs made in AUS at the Enertion HQ get tested, I’m not sure if they test them in the USA factory/Warehouse.

All the Enertion VESCs are made in USA.

But do they get shipped to AUS for programming and testing (as seen in videos) or do they go directly from programming to shipping?

They all got shipped to Aus and then some back to US dealer (longhairedboy) they all get programmed in Aus AFAIK

Ahha - you learn something new every day. I feel like I remember someone discussing in-factory flashing, but that could just as easily be from one of a dozen other things I’ve been working on.

With the exception of serious burn outs, most damaged VESCs probably don’t require significant repairs. The combined time spent on diagnostics and repair is considerable though unless its a common issue (like DRV8302).

US orders get VESCs straight from the Texas factory. They don’t go to AUS first.

Figured that was the case, import/export would be expensive and messy.

From now on, but the last batch came to Aus and then back. Not 100% sure but maybe @onloop can confirm for us.

He confirmed it in another thread when we were talking about why some VESCs got 50v caps. You’re right though, earlier batches had the VESCs shipped from US -> AUS -> US. Going forward it seems all US orders have it shipped straight from Texas.

2 Likes

So USA ones might not be getting the full testing treatment. They’re still ironing out the kinks, so lets see what happens.

but whitepony is in germany

what does “tested” mean though? the german repair guy also send me a “repaired & tested” vesc once, that actually had instant DRV8302 error on my bench. he just resoldered the DRV8302 chip (didnt swap it) and everything was fine from there!

p.s.: and yea, got mine directly from australia.

In AUS, they’re flashed and then used to spin up a motor to prove they’re functioning. See the Enertion Vlog about their new automated mass flasher.