Starting Tips | Ask Questions | Introductions | Categories

Hoverboard motors - Delta & Wye

Hi guys!

I’ve been lurking for a while and decided my current headache might be a problem shared a problem halved!

Long story short, I came across 7 disused/ mildly broken hover boards.

I thought it would be a fun project to build a eMTB from the parts. I ended up with 6 x 10s2p Samsung 18650 & the motors. Currently have a 10s8p parallel set-up.

All problems in the build are now solved other than awaiting some parts arriving.

In the meantime I’m trying to research methods of increase top speed as I expect the board to be on the slow side. The build is 4wd and these 350w motors are scary torque heavy.

I searched the forums and other sources to find several people have had success in rewiring the motors (not re-winding) to a delta configuration rather than Star/Wye.

I’m having trouble figuring out how to do this on these specific motors, as from everything I have read it seems to involve connecting some of the internal wiring. However my motors do not appear to have a group of six wires welded together as others have suggested you need to split and rewire.

Has anyone else has success in changing to delta/ found a guide I’m missing somewhere?

Any help muchly appreciated.

Picture for good measure