How a BLDC motor works and why a hub motor gets hotter

the winding resistance will stay the same though as far as heat produced. there’s the back emf voltage but it doesnt add resistance to the motor just the amount of current you can put in I believe.

i think we’re talking about different “resistance”. the true electrical resistance of the windings will never change. the increase in rpm and subsequent back emf creates a limit of what the max rpm can be but you dont have more heat running at higher rpms. the only heat produced by the windings is proportional to the resistance of the winding and the amps through it.

Keeping the motor the same…let’s say 100kv…and adding more batteries in series…yet still keeping to let’s say 20mph when now u have the cells to go up to 30…you will run a bit less efficiently as you’re now further from the no-load speed

The volts x amps equals watts just doesn’t pan out in the motor. I don’t have an explanation and am hoping pb1 can get to the bottom of that

as long as you put “in the motor” after it, i’ll buy that shirt.

Can someone do a tdlr :joy:

Gents, I think I have good news and then maybe not so good news for you.

Good news is that I think I can explain it all. Part two of my write up covers a lot of your questions. 80% is finished. But please do not doubt the fundamentals of physics.

Not so good news (maybe) : I will take a break from esk8 for a week, go on vacation with the family and do lots of mountain biking (the real MTB).
Maybe I’ll post some pictures, but I suppose I will not fight with you guys over physics.

Send me a cask of your favourite craft beer and I might consider coming over to discuss.

1 Like

And before I forget : please decouple the voltage of the battery and on the motor side…

http://www.ebikes.ca/tools/simulator.html

this should shed some light.

I’m really psyched to find this!!

this is why es is the shit

these guys know so much more. https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=81074

youre right I miss spoke. I didnt mean to say volts gets converted to amps I meant to say volts GET converted to amps.

the only part misleading as I see it is the rest of the statement. and really I guess all the ingredients: battery, motor, esc, contribute to converting volts to amps.

yes. and I think the voltage and amp changes are related to all three parts. battery, esc and motor are variables in what that conversion is

The evidence I have from the blog, vedder’s site, isn’t contradicting it is saying the same. volts get converted to amps by the vesc. (and the motor and battery too). the amps going through the phase wires are more than are going through the motor leads. This was news to me. I keep saying it because it changes how most people understand how many amps are moving their motors. And they throw up an amp limit on motor spec sheets. Yet the amperage we could be at is almost to the point of infinitely huge at stalling speed. that’s what I read lately.

Voltage is a constant (theoretically, ignoring voltage droop and such), its simply a measurement of the energy potential. You esc doesnt convert volts to amps. As the load increases on your motor it will want to increase the amount of power it draws. Since voltage is constant the only thing it can increase is current draw (aka amps); this is a result of the equation power = volts × current. Your motor will pull as many amps as it takes to power the load, regardless of your battery spec. If the current your motor draws is greater than your battery can supply the battery will heat up, explode, die, short, etc. The motor WILL DRAW WHAT IT NEEDS and gives zero shits about the battery spec, there is no conversions of anything, the only relevant equation is power = volts × current

2 Likes