How can I reinforce this deck?

Hey,

Got a good deal on this hummie (thanks @uigiroux) but need to do a bit of work.

Do you guys have ideas on ways I can reinforce this deck? I’m 220lbs so I’m thinking it would be good to reinforce it. There are only 4 layers left out of 12 in the middle (some small areas even have 2 layers only):

image image

I put some wheels on it and pushed for a bit and it was fine, but still think I should reinforce:

You should add your location/country to your profile, because a lot of advice changes depending on that.

Thanks for bringing this up. I’ve been here for a while but never put my location in the profile.

Sell it to me. I’ll reinforce it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Get some fiberglass cloth and resin. Start with 1 full layer covering the board then add stripped layers end to end long ways and some horizontal strips from each edge. Should look kinda like an asterisk, then top it off with one more full layer. On the last layer make sure to not go to hard on the resin and make sure each layer is thoroughly wet before adding another ontop, to avoid bubbles and voids.

3 Likes

Make sure to sand the areas you plan to glass so the resin makes direct contact to the wood surface. Otherwise you will have layer separation.

Thanks @RedBaron. Adding a fiberglass or carbon fiber layers is the first thought that came to my mind as well and would be an elegant solution, but I’m not sure I want to learn/commit to that for this particular project.

If I can’t find a simpler solution (e.g.: maybe something with aluminum?) then I will take the cost of using fiberglass.

1 Like

I agree with @RedBaron. Use either fiberglass or carbon fiber on the bottom. Probably two layers on each side of the battery compartment. Putting it on the top won’t do much except for looks. It’s the bottom that needs reinforcement. If there is a fiber direction, make sure they are going longways.

Would you clean out the edges? Or just leaving it as is.

You’ll have to sand the surface you want to bond to. Otherwise, I don’t know what you mean.

Who routed that? A beaver? :joy::joy::joy:

6 Likes

If you made the battery cover out of aluminum you might stiffen it up enough to not worry about cracks.

1 Like

Aluminum/metal/carbon battery cover on a deck with a carbon top layer will mean you will have a Faraday Cage around your remote receiver antenna unless you put the antenna outside the enclosure.

1 Like

:joy: Not sure, I bought it like this but I’d guess a hand router without using a guide, came at a nice price so not complaining.

This will be 1 of 2 builds I’m making this summer, the plan on this one is to make it very cheap but good specs. It will use dual dickyho mounts (new model with crossbar), dual 6374 dickyho motors (they are around $60 each), TB VESCs that I already had and etc.

1 Like

Might want to consider laminating in some narrow carbon fibre tubes, or 90 degree aluminium extrusions on the longitudinal edge of the cutout.

1 Like

Interesting, that could be an option. My first build ever I made a custom enclosure out of aluminum, even built a jig to bend it… I spent waaaay too many hours on that, could probably do a much better job now.

image image image

5 Likes