How did you learn to code?

I am interested in learning a bit of code and I am sure a few others here are as well. Any very experienced programmers, where did you start? I think code academy is a great place to learn python but it doesn’t have c or c++. Did you learn in university, high school, or by yourself?

Look forward to hearing your opinions!

1 Like

I learn html, css, javascript, sql, and php from online places like w3schools and online coding forums from age 13 to 16. I learned java, objective c (in an ihpone programming class) and c++ from my university, and sharpened my php skills. I need to sharpen my sql skills still and I’m taking parallel programming (which is c) this fall.

You have to learn the basics, and find projects or come up with your own projects, and go for it. It’s best to take some classes to learn the basics of how to structure your code, and the concepts of programming (like object oriented programming, model view controller structure, ect.). But My understanding is your on the younger side, so classes may not be an option (at least, they weren’t for me when I was younger). So your best option is online guides and coding forums for help when your confused or don’t know what you should do.

GL and let me know if you ever need any help.

1 Like

I am extremely experienced in low level coding such as assembly, c, c++. I taught myself and used google. Its really not that hard just look at code other people have written and then google “what does this do” until you understand. I am a computer science major so im getting a formal degree in programming but i already know most things anyone would want to do, feel free to pm me whatever. Most of all it takes TIME, dont expect to understand much for at least a month or two.

If anyone has ever heard of unknowncheats.me i am a power user over there under the same username. Forwarning, dont visit that site if you hate hackers.

2 Likes

codeacadamy is cool for showing you the very basic essence of coding but it’s not going to get you far. I would first ask you what you want to do with programming? C/C++ is very complex and is meant for very low level programming. If you want to do simple stuff I would continue with python, on the other hand C/C++ is very powerful in the long run and will pretty much allow you to easily learn any other language. If you want to learn C or C++ people have been arguing since the beginning of time on if you need to know C as a prerequisite, but I will go ahead and say that you don’t. C++ has a lot of substance and some argue it’s “bloated”, no matter your opinion its pretty much the industry standard with low level design. I suggest buying a book, preferably one with exercises and practicing as much as you can as you learn. You can sit down and read the whole book but as corny as it sounds practice is most important. I like this book personally but you can do research on what book for what language. Good luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Primer-5th-Stanley-B-Lippman/dp/0321714113/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1470199343&sr=8-6&keywords=c%2B%2B+textbook

2 Likes

Thanks for all the advice guys. I will continue to learn python on codeacademy and then use forums and books to learn more advanced stuff. I intend to use code for Arduino and general electronics things.

TI-83, ti-89 FTW!

1 Like

As in the Texas Instruments Graphing calculator?

Yep, graphing calculators were my introduction to Basic and assembly. When I discovered object oriented programming in CS101, it blew my mind. You could program an instance of the universe if you had the ram and time😉

3 Likes

You got to read and google alot. On top of that you need to analyze other people code. And these all wont work if you dont practice or have projects that uses the code you want to learn.

Projects will lead your way. Every problem you solved, you learn something new.

2 Likes

All the code I have learned has been necessity driven. All from books & the net. Also an associate is a network engineer, so that helps. Find something you want to do, then just figure it out.

1 Like

If you are serious about learing and want to do it fast and on your own, I can recommend to take online classes like Treehouse, Lynda or Udemy. I have experiece in all of them and Treehouse seem to be the mos tprofessional and easy to learn format, atleast for me. Udemy has some great teachers but also some not soo good.

1 Like

Once you learn the ideas, its finding the right syntax fie the language. I’d you want to learn c/c++ just buy a few ardunio nano clones. $2-3 each. Start with the basic examples and then combine them.

If you have a specific project to work on it helps you focus. Or you can easily get lost in it all. Beginner and season programmer alike, Google and stack overflow are your best friends.

1 Like

I wouldn’t start with Python - it’s a deep pool. I’d start with straight-up Arduino. Get yourself an Uno or something and start working through the samples that come with the UI. Everything you need is there.

Then later on when you have a good baseline start mucking around in Python.

1 Like

The best way to learn is to just pick a project you are extremely motivated to do and then google your ass off as you figure out how. Coding takes time and pisses you off when first learning so you need a bigger project or idea in mind to convince yourself to keep going. Just my two cents, i dont beleive in books or videos because they are boring af.

5 Likes

I started learning code at 8. Why? Because I really wanted to build something.

Stop taking lessons, books or whatever, you will be bored to death. Just start something you really want to do, and then start googling until you understand things. Books, theory, best practices is when you will want to improve your skills, until then just build something.

@Stevemk14ebr ahah exactly, damn was writing about it at the same time!

3 Likes

couldn’t have said it better myself. The boring videos and books are for AFTER you get a general idea of how to do things, not before.

3 Likes

Im self taught, with coding many different languages(Swift 2.3, AS2-3, JavaScript, C-C++, C#). I use the C++ mixed with Jave daily and Swift. I learned by watching YouTube and reading codes. And the best way I learned was that I wanted to make a codelock from a game called “Rust”. I started buying all things I needed, arduino uno, matrix keypad 3x4, led, speaker etc. Then I searched up how to use the keypad. Then I learned that how I configure that. Then it was the speaker etc. Learning how to use them and put them together. Now today I can make an electric longboard that you can change the color, speed, check ampere, check voltage, get battery and controll the speed of the board with just leaning your phone downwards. And I’m currently remaking the Vedder’s Switch for my board so I can intergate it in my other circuit. So it will have the vedder’s switch, bluetooth for board controll etc, 2.4ghz transciever for the controller. And I learned all this in just a few months. I got interested in coding in march. And I plan to make the VESCX dual inside my circuit so all I have is one big motherboard :wink: And I am wondering how far have you come because its been 4 months :slight_smile:

1 Like

MIT (Yes, the university) has something called MIT OpenCourseWare where they publish all their courses online for free. Some courses even includes full lectures as audio or video.

4 Likes

Wow impressive, will you be sharing anything at the end of it all? :smiley:

I can code but i prefer designing apps+websites i leave the coding to my friends :slight_smile:

Ofcourse I would share! :smiley: But Its maybe in the future I will do it. If not Vedder makes a dual :wink: Right now I am making the Vedders Switch intergrated inside my reciever