How did you learn to code?

Wow looks awesome! Never knew they had that.

Interesting thread.

Like @Arzamenable, I coded with the TI-83 and TI85 back in high school way back in 1995-ish and was hooked on being able to create. I saw it more as an art than a science. The TI actually lead me go to college and get a degree in computer science, my school concentrated mostly on C++ and then covered the basics of PHP, Python, Java/Javascript. These days for work it’s mostly SQL for me.

I started coding when I was 12 by making Minecraft server plugins. Most people start with hello world, I started by making chickens explode when you attack them. Since then I’ve gone on to become pretty familiar with Java and OOP in general. I’ve worked with html/css/javascript as well as php and sql. I also made a King of the Hill game mode in Rust similar to the one in Arma 3 I had to do that in C#.

4 Likes

exploding chicken? you and I would get a long fine. when I was 15, my friends and I edited the weapons in Doom to shoot chickens that exploded on impact, we did a lot to that classic game, I still have the floppy somewhere

I learned by hacking battlefield. I write aimbots and reverse engineer AAA games all the time. Just search github and my username in Google, you’ll find my stuff. I’m best at C++, but I also know java, c#, vb.net, and assembly really well.

1 Like

I’m sure there’s another esk8er who is older than me so I’m throwing down the card…

Basic on a teletype in Junior high - ca 1977.

My first paid gig was on an Apple II