How do I handle cracked ABS?

It won’t be much help now, but when you initially fit an enclosure hit the ends with a heat gun and press down in the corners to make the enclosure for the concave of the board. This makes it so there is less bending stress in the enclosure.

1 Like

Just a public safety tip: acetone also melts nitrile gloves, so make sure you’re careful handling it. Don’t ask me how I know :slight_smile:

Didnt know about that. But adding to the safety list: ventilation. Acetone stinks strongly Work outside preferably

1 Like

having more screws seems to help by putting less stress on any single spot.

Also using a gasket out of automotive weather striping seems to help by reducing vibration stress while keeping the inside of the enclosure moisture and dust free.

How do your screws mount @Namasaki? Do they protrude out the other side? I mounted rivet head sockets on the other side, but I’m not a fan of how they look on the board.

I just use stainless steel sheet metal screws. I think they’re #8s. They go about 1/2" into the board. they hold fine in Canadian maple. Never had a problem with them getting loose even after taking them out and putting them back many times.

1 Like

Ah okay, that’s my main concen. With the rivets, if I strip anything it’s super easy to replace.

When taking screws out of wood and putting them back, you treat it the same as a machine thread by turning it backwards until the screws seats in the existing thread. That way your using the old thread and not cutting a new thread.

1 Like

What about ABS pipe cement for glueing cracks together.

1 Like

Yea I think someone mentioned that above as well. I’ll try it out if acetone fails :slight_smile:

Side question, are those Kaly’s 230v 6355 motors?

No, they are 190kv from Alien Power systems. They have 10mm shafts. They are precision made so they have tight tolerance between the shaft and bearing races.

Ah okay I really want those Brother motors, but Kaly’s kv is too high for me. 190 is perfect but alien is UK based right?

Anybody thought about making a ABS slurry to fix an ABS part with acetone? Acetone dissolve ABS.

i watched a video on youtube where a guy did exactly that. Used acetone to tack the pieces together, then finish with an ABS acetone slurry

Right, but they ship pretty fast. The last order I placed from them was 149 BP + 19 PB shipping for 2 motors. Thats about $193 USD

Looks like they changed their supplier

Don’t know how the crack look. But when you get a crack in a window or metal plate, you drill a small hole where the crack starts and end so it won’t spread anymore.

Your absolutely correct @L3chef That works with any material that cracks. We used to call that “stop drilling” back in the day. In Fact, when we used to weld repair cracks, we would “stop drill” the crack first and then weld it.

1 Like

That’s not the motor @Jinra This is the motor I got, the 6355 HEV:

Ah cool. Too bad the shaft is too big for me. Kaly’s motor would be perfect if it was ~200kv. Maybe I’ll risk going 230kv on 10s.