How do you charge your longboard?

I’ll have a look - I did a quick search but couldnt find any, maybe I’ll have to make one rather than import it…

So basically, the BMS will come with a 10s connector, I then need to take the balance connector cables from my batteries and put them into the 10s connector?

I read your thread which made it easier to understand with the pictures.

You could just cut the connectors off of your battery’s balance wires and solder (or use crimp connectors) the wires to the balance harness that comes with the BMS. I chose to use the JST extensions so that I could have a quick disconnect at the battery just to make it easier to maintain or replace individual packs if necessary.

I’ve a 6S2P pack with a 12A BMS charging it with a 25,5V power supply.

1 Like

Or much easier, cheaper, faster, and with a lot less space is using a bulk power supply and balance on the side. Something like a meanwell 48 volt adjustable supply and battery medic device plugged into balance wires

@Hummie is there such a thing as a 10s Battery Medic? This is all I could find…

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbykingtm-battery-medic-system-2s-6s.html?___store=en_us

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of any of that lol

There’s a 12s version designed that u can find on endless-sphere if u search for “dumb shunt”. No 10s but if you know what you’re doing you could use the schematic/diagram on es and make it surely. I’ve been trying to get anyone to make the 12s version with a lower wattage than the es version and sell them to me. Maybe you? I use two of the 6s versions but they’re too slow

@Dougieman1001

Does take a bit more care and involvement when charging but it’s standard practice for a lot of diy ebikes. without the bms I rely on the two low voltage cut offs on the vesc so I have the pack turn off when the cells average 3.6 and 3.5 final cut off. Much cheaper and faster charging and the biggest plus for me is using a single plug. I hate taking those little plugs apart.

Ah fair enough, I will use the vesc as a back up cutoff I think

I’ll take a look and see. Not sure I have time for anymore projects right now.

Do you use the 2x 6S balancers (cell medic) while the pack is still connected in series as 12S? How long does it usually take to balance?

P.S. That “dumb shunt” is pretty awesome!

I am using two 3s batteries in series, but the principles should be the same in that you can buy a 3s to 6s balance plug adapter which will allow you to charge the two batteries at the same time.

Yes I leave all cells connected in series and stick those medics on the side while charging or while not charging. they are slow. Hard to say how slow but honestly u could be all day. But then leaving them on all day isn’t hard to do. There is a version that u can attach bulbs to and it does more watts but then it’s back to complication with plugs so I never use it The dumb shunt I think is pretty simple if u know electronics. If anyone would make a 12s ok wattage one with simple bulbs, or advise me on what parts to get, or we could get a little board made or something.
I like to charge fast and using these and a 30$ switching regulated power supply you can charge at 400 watts at 50.4 volts or if you want you could charge at 1000 watts or more. Not limited.

I wrote the dumb shunt guy and to have him (populate?) the board would be 100$. Too much. Surely there’s a mid ground between ten and a hundred that does mid-wattage. 30$ I’d like. Or if it were a beautiful design 50$. Worth it and then some.

1 Like

whats the exact set up included in that board?, like the batteries and the vesc?, (on the red ghost board)

That board has a 6S zippy 8000mah battery and an early hobbyking esc. The carbon box was made to accommodate 16000mah, but in practice i never needed that much so half the box is actually empty. There is no BMS just a lipo alarm.

Hi, I got a 50.4V BMS. I have three 4s 5000mah batteries in series. Each one at 16.8v. I had an XLR charger and everything. I read up on how to wire my BMS. Didn’t use it for discharge only for charging. My batteries didn’t charger at all. I connected everything up like it should have been and nothing charger. The fuse on my charger was good but nothing was working. My batteries were basically shot and I had no way to charge them since the BMS wasn’t working I cut the sensor wires off so I had no way to charge them. Basically out $100 for batteries. Any ideas what went wrong. Until I know what’s wrong I’m not planning on trying a BMS again. I’ll stick to opening the pack and charging the batteries separately with a parallel charging board.

You need to post a schematic on how you hooked everything up if you want help on this, or take pictures.

Do you mean the temperature sensor?

Could someone direct me to a thread on the topic of using a generator to power a load (to then power the motor) while using excess to charge the battery? I know it sounds confusing and id like to go into greater detail in a correct thred. Thanks!

I have a horse that chases carrots on one of these dohickeys to power my board.

5 Likes