How I made my lipo packs slimmer!

Very good argument for going with the singles!

1 Like

From the hk chat section talking about the singles there were complaints about the tabs being hard to solder. Think it’s the same stuff. Never tried aluminum solder but will try. I had success before with plain solder and a lot of heat.

1 Like

I like how people are joining he slim revolution :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I won’t be so slim though with 800watt hours! I said yes to fat ass battery to take me everywhere.

I disagree. I don’t think that’s a good argument for singles. infact I think the opposite. pre assembled multistars are already soldered and fluxed so all you need is a standard Iron and you can solder them easily. buy separate cells and you are working with clean aluminuim that has never been soldered, you are going to have to use aluminum flux there for sure. and remove any oxides etc… it will be a real pain.

2 Likes

Yeah, but what about the overall time invested? If you like tinkering with battys then, OK. I get it. You need to think outside the box, my friend! :wink: Why solder at all when you can rivet fresh tabs together? Here’s a really cool vid I found!

You know it would be just as reliable as solder while applying zero heat to the work. NIce right? :grinning: This vid only takes a minute to get the idea. The connections should outlive a lipo. IMO

3 Likes

yeah if you are no good at soldering maybe. I could probably solder the tabs together just as quick as riveting them, so for me its a no brainer.

Fair enough! @lowGuido BTW: I’ve been following andI absolutely dig your flat pack build! So clean, so slim!! Big props! Pics speak for themselves!

4 Likes

I know that a lot of people hate soldering and try to avoid it… so yeah for them they probably would rather rivet…

personally I think you should solder, even if you hate it, you are building electric skateboards. soldering is a skill that you should definitely develop.

5 Likes

@lowGuido Do you find that aluminum solder paste is absolutely necessary to solder the battery tabs together? Or do they just need special prep to get the solder to stick?

2 Likes

I just used a standard flux core solder… (i mentioned the exact spec in my thread) however I did NOT use any special aluminum solder or paste

1 Like

Thanks. That’s good to know. I’m going to sand/prep the tabs a bit more and try again with regular flux core solder.

I’m pretty OCD, so I really like soldering. That moment when the solder just melts into the joint like butter! It’s a satisfying thing.

1 Like

as I mentioned earlier

I’m dealing with a Zippy Compact, not sure if it should matter, but I couldn’t get the new solder to stick to the tabs. I tried a few times with a really hot iron, and had no problem with the existing solder and wire melting, but even that wouldn’t stick to the other broken half of the tab.

I can’t comment on zippy, because I haven’t done one. the multistars were quite easy though.

one day i’ll get a camera and make a video…

You’ll need aluminum solder look up in this thread for my link

This is freaking amazing! I wish I had the level of experience to craft it without killing myself. I have yet to build my 1st eSK8. All the parts are being shipped however I am missing one critical component, a battery enclosure for my 2X 4S 10000mah Multistar. Every plastic box is either on the big or small side!

Anyway, congrats of the skill level ;). @barajabali

Thanks!

Check out my newest thread I am now building packs for a super affordable price! All types from thin lipo to lion

2 Likes

what you did there is quite interesting and i have to say that it will conceal the battery very well but have you considered the deck’s strength ?? it looks like it will break under load if you do not put something under it to take all the bending that will happen…do you have extra pics f the project ?