How is your soldering setup?

@moon @oskarCastrone I’ve had one of these for about seven months and it is excellent! Definitely powerful enough to handle xt90 and lots more! If you can’t afford a Weller rig, this is the way to go.

1 Like

I looked at reviews, people were saying the Weller brand is going downhill. And the reviews for the hakko is godlike on amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Hakko-FX888D-23BY-Digital-Soldering-Station/dp/B00ANZRT4M/ref=sr_1_3?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1520336300&sr=1-3&keywords=hakko+fx-888d#customerReviews

Small tip, the most probably already know, when soldering XT90 connectors always put the other connector in the one you’re soldering so the heat can be better distributed, and the connectors wont melt in their housing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I didn’t know that. Everyone at my work uses wellers, older ones granted. In any case they were way too expensive for me and then I found hakko. It’s a good simple one that should cover pretty much everything you need.

1 Like

Wish I knew this about 3 months ago :grin:

1 Like

Hehe, yeah, I also fucked up some XT90’s :confused: And they are expensive :open_mouth:

At least it was XT60 for me :slight_smile:

1 Like

I must’ve gotten lucky, that’s never happened to me. Not saying it couldn’t, I just try to keep the tip only on the wire I’m soldering without it touching the connector itself.

1 Like

It should not take that much heat to solder a wire to the xt90 connector. If your melting the connector you may have to much heat in the pen. I would try putting a little solder on the top of the pen and then tin the tip of the wire that should eliminate the amount of heat it take to make a good solder joint.

1 Like

It’s not that fast but 300w is fairly quick. I believe the faster you can solder a joint the better. Keeping the heat effected zone as small as possible.

I don’t use XT connectors. I only use 5.5 bullets on my builds. Less bulk and I like to keep pos and neg wires separated as much as possible

3 Likes

My wife knows this of me all too well :neutral_face:

10 Likes

:joy: You sir are man enough to admit that.

1 Like

1 Like

50000 solders if used below 400c.

Always leave solder on the tip when you turn it off as it prevents the iron coating on the tip from oxidizing. Use tip tinner after you clean with a sponge or mesh. Don’t use abrasives.

I’ve had tips last 10+ years…

1 Like

I bought a cheaper one, it broke, then I still bought a Weller. Just get a Weller from the beginning and save yourself the money.

A straight up 40w soldering pencil will always burn tips up because they have no temp control and they just keep heating the tip hotter and hotter.

You need a soldering station that maintains tip temperature and keeps it from overheating.

1 Like

Get a new iron, I have that aswell, it always happens to just be that one 40w weller. Not even my 13 dollar amazon iron shows wear like that

My existing crappy iron broke (foreground) so it was time to upgrade! :grin:

4 Likes

Nice upgrade!

1 Like

mine has beer and tunes, lol

1 Like