How much battery is needed for 25+ real world miles?

I don’t know what belt system you have but my belt drive has no more drag than my hub motor system did. And I get rolling too fast down hills and have to ride the brakes.

Maybe he needs steeper hills.

I think a 9 mm belt setup is noticeable less drag than a 12 mm setup.

I’m using dual 9mm belts. 10% grade, gotta use brakes

That is what i am getting too, maybe he is on 12mm, or got it too tight?

I’ve already got 33" wheelbase

1 Like

For me, my GT with dual 15mm belts has pretty similar rolling resistance (very low) as my dual 9mm belt DIY board. However, since the width of GT belts is so wide, I have them looser as well.

I’ve done 25+ miles in a day using 2 x 12s 5200 mah lipo packs. About 500wh total, each pack gets 10-15 miles, then I can switch back up to full speed and do it all over again! I think I can push a few more miles, low voltage limits are still pretty high…

Swappable packs is the way to go. I can keep one in my bag or just use one pack for normal rides.

Keeps weight down, but wiring can be more complicated.

Two 12s packs in parallel, or two 6s in series?

I used to use a similar setup with a clam shell enclosure and buckle straps holding the lid on for quick access. I put 2 6s/5000 together to make a 12s set and I had 3 sets. I got 12 miles per set. Seems like I never wanted to ride more than 12 miles so it became pointless for me to have multiple sets. Pound for pound, Lipos certainly deliver more power than Li-ions but charging and storing them safely is a hassle.

1 Like

18650’s actually have a higher power density than prismatic lipo’s by as much as 10 or 20 percent. Lipos generally have a higher C rating but low cycle life.

1 Like

Would be nice if battery manufacturers made some large square cells and filled them with the same stuff in 18650’s. Would be a lot more space efficient

I have and EGO, used to have a Gen2 Evolve, and tried a Boosted too. All had a considerable amount of drag compared to my Carvon Hub. The Carvon is also the only Hub I’ve ever rode. So not much experience there. Haven’t had the chance to try many DIY builds.

I commute with my board, so I’m always taking the same route. On quite a few places where there are slight downhills (1%-2%) sort of grades, I still need power to keep up my speed (around 14mph or so) on my belt drive systems. On my Hub motor, I can cruise without power and go faster.

I dont think it’d be structurally safe. The corner edges end up being failure points on the cells.

This deck has a 33-34 inch wheelbase and fits 60 to 72 cells depending on how crowded you want to get. At 60 cells the central compartment can be used for electronics alone. The board in the photo has 72 cells 8 of which needed to be placed in the central compartment. If you use 3500mah cells you can get around 930 watt hours! Isn’t that efficient enough?!

This board weighed in at 22 lbs with dual motors.

6 Likes

Chaka ,Do you use the Panasonic GA cells ?

And what is you pack ?S ?P ?

Drool

Chaka do you recall how many watt hours in my board? I seem to recall 800 wh or so.

If the Evolve GT with 370 wh’s has an ~30 mile max range.

Doing 40 miles on mine is realistic at a semi spirited speeds.

I can’t see how I could get 60 miles unless it was mostly downhill with tailwind.

Do they have some secret sauce? smaller motors?

Very impressive! Imagine what you could do with a large square shape though! Such large batteries are not really practical for boards with alot of flex, so even the shape of a cell becomes important. In japan they grow their watermelons in squares to save space and make them easier to stack.

http://lubbockonline.com/sites/default/files/photos/blogs/62710/square-watermellons_1.png

I had an ego as well. They do have a lot of drag. My diy dual belt drive has much less drag than the ego and feels about the same as my dual Carvon system was.

The older Evolve Carbon had a 10s 6p pack ,…now they only have a 370 wh ???

Maybe I have that wrong.

I thought the new GT was 370 wh’s

Anyone know?