How much juice can I throw at a dual FOCBOX setup?

If I got you right it is exactly the way I did it.

Wire the ESCs in parallel, connect them to the battery, cut both battery wires wherever you like and solder the shunt in the negative line and the loop key with fuse in the positive line.

1 Like

Iā€™ll give it a tryā€¦whatā€™s the worst that could happen!? :wink:

1 Like

Just a word of warning, be careful with the FOCBOX. I purchased two of them thinking they were great for FOC and now all I see are people having issues!

Are the recent ones still having issues or are you referring to the older ones?

(they were on my esc/vesc radar, tooā€¦ but a few spots down)

The brand new ones unfortunately. Seems they are actually just a relabeled vesc-x.

1 Like

Hi. Are your FOCBOXes still OK? I also wonder if you are (were) using FOC of BDLC mode?

You got that one right.

The massive ā€œcā€'s is really more wrong the bigger it gets. Here is spreadsheet 1 of 4 showing advertised c and true c. It is about 4 years old, but I would wager that the problem is still there with the newer batteries.

There was even one Lipo company that was being truthful and advertised both competitive c and true c using c for customers.

If cycle and voltage did not bother me and I need as much juice as I need, I would still go LiPo.

Hey @DanSkates Itā€™s probably a little late for me to answer thisā€¦ But the focbox with decent cooling can do around 1900w continuous, and up to 3500 burst.

Iā€™m sure your board is already setupā€¦ but the copper pours on the PCB are only thick enough to handle ~60 battery amps, so I keep the battery amps at 50 or belowā€¦ But the fets are rated up to 250Aā€¦ I have my motor max at 125A and my absolute max at 190. In order to keep the heat down, I have a max wattage setup for 2500w, so as the duty cycles increases it lowers the motor ampā€¦to stay in the Watt range it can dissipate. Give me incredible acceleration in the bottomā€¦

I donā€™t think @Nowind or @BigBoyToys used watt limitsā€¦ but the motor amps letā€™s you accelerate from a dig with alot of force.

2 Likes

Jenso is on 100BA 130MA 175ACā€¦ (from last video)

yourā€™e on 50BA 125MA 190AC with a 2500w limit?

@Deckoz changed your profile again bro, your killing me! :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

@Cobber but heā€™s on vesc6 :slight_smile: Mehā€¦ Profile bleh

yeah for sureā€¦ profile is how I know you dude! :neutral_face:

and now we are all getting on vesc 6.4 based stewii-b-boxā€¦

relatively you pushed MC & AC much more, might be something in that? maybe with lower BC, MC & AC can be driven higher?

Lol

Identity crisisā€¦

And I think the focbox only has 2oz copper poursā€¦and vesc 6 and stewii new pcbs use 3ozā€¦Iā€™m not 100%

Either way those amperages would be burst in normal use unless your going up a long hill? As the motors unload some at higher speeds?

I never ever see 100+ motor amps unless Iā€™m under heavy acceleration at low speedā€¦ contrary to thatā€¦the clone Evo uses no watt limit and he can hit 100a+ at 20mphā€¦ if he gasses itā€¦ But it only last for a second since the motor unloads quickly. To me at higher rpms I feel like that many amps can ā€œshiftā€ the board to fastā€¦so I like the motor amp to taper down as the speed increasesā€¦ It makes it feel as if there is more ā€œresolutionā€ in the throttleā€¦ Speed increases, amp max goes down due to wattage/bat max, dumbing jerkyness in the throttle with the faster speedā€¦making it predictable.

At least thatā€™s the advantages to meā€¦ idkā€¦Iā€™m sure everyoneā€™s thumbs/body feeling are different.

My batmax is because of my batteries thoughā€¦ I have it split for continuous ratingā€¦(50A/50A)ā€¦ if I used lipo or a bigger parallel I could go higherā€¦ But I donā€™t know if I would trust the copper pours on the focbox for more then 50 battery ampsā€¦ Without external coolingā€¦ Where the vesc 6 can hold 70A continuous for 10min +

2 Likes

yourā€™e on the bleeding edge bro :astonished: not sure what to make ā€¦

Idkā€¦

I just think that the ESCs have more potential then people thinkā€¦ And the ability to make the bottom end a rocketā€¦

Why put 250A direct fets on and only throw 30 amps through themā€¦

2 Likes

Both are still alive. Tho only ever used bldc. Thinking about swapping to foc but never did because of all the dramas I see people having lol.

1 Like

Are you getting any over current fault codes ever Decky?

Never. But sensors are necessary to use these numbers from a stop with no kickā€¦ Otherwise you may get a squeal and an AC fault :wink: but thatā€™s with any non sensored setupā€¦ Canā€™t no kick start without themā€¦

2 Likes

Are you going to wind up the current on your eMTB build?

I wasnā€™t going to go past ~70 BA on my new one with ESCapes.

I dunno yet. Gonna wait to see how it feels. It wouldnā€™t be to much higher at 6pā€¦ 120a/2ā€¦

If I really wanted to crank it id need liposā€¦ but really I think if you wanna crank it you just have to setup the cooling to keep it coolā€¦ likely.

Thing is Trampa gets all bucky with torsional twist and not just on acceleration, deceleration too. Just coming off the throttle can induce it at higher speeds/load.

I def. donā€™t want anymore than my 160kv even 150kv would be enough I think, but I have high ā€œcā€ liposā€¦

1 Like