How much of a difference to range does and idler make?

Depends what it is thats in there lol. Most rocks and such come out after you’ve scraped your face back up off the concrete

1 Like

That’s what I thought too! I had my belts fairly loose and even had brand new bearings on the idlers.

Still experienced the same result. It felt like the idlers introduced extra drag / friction to the drive system.

1 Like

I got that with a dual but single works a treat. It does depend a lot on the position of said idler though. Sounds to me like yours are a bit close to the motor pulley. Its a battle though because of the wheel sizes we use now. I put my own idlers on mostly so can put them in the best place for whatever wheel and mounts I’m using. Much easier to set up on a long reverse mount though

1 Like

I never got around to trying a single idler, just double. And you are right, the idlers were both pretty close to the motor.

I’m not super experienced with idlers, so I figured I must have been doing something wrong. It was enough of a PIA that afterwards I decided to just stick with shorter motor mount setups that don’t require idlers.

2 Likes

Ive ran a couple different motor mounts with single and double idlers and found them to be a detriment to the free-rolling factor. It wasnt as noticeable on urethane wheels but was obvious AF with my sixshooters 60t pulleys. Instead of idlers, just make sure pulley alignment is near perfect using a QUALITY mount and have proper belt tension for the best riding experience. Ive changed my builds up so many times lol and also dont use keyway or grub screws on motor pulley, instead use loctite 638 and save yourself (or someone riding your board) the grief of motor pulley coming loose