How much over budget did you go?

Did you get an email with a tracking number when your vesc’s were shipped?

Yup, they sent me an email on the 18th saying it shipped, it ships from Elephant Butte (LOL), New Mexico. Oddly took just over a week to get here via post office.

My roommate and his friend are definitely odd, my roommate predicts his and my futures by reading playing cards and relating them to the positioning of the planets. He’s a self described “rolling stone” who lives miraculously off of craigslist gigs. As long as he pays the rent and keeps the place clean I’m not really complaining lol

1 Like

Initially aimed to spend around $1600 to build what is essentially a Raptor Mono sans the carbon fibre deck. Chances are I’m sitting closer to $2200 - $2500 at this point and I’m looking at spending another $600 or so for a second motor soon… Probably should’ve just bought a raptor dual from the get go… :stuck_out_tongue:

But then you would have missed all of this fun.

I was aiming for $700 originally and had many expensive tools already. I’m up to at least $4000 now, since I invested in my CNC milling machine. I have a bunch of motors, batteries and now boards, but only one working setup which will be salvaged the second I get two more vesc’s from Chaka to make a quad motor drive board.

2 Likes

Haha true that, although to be fair, my board has been sitting waiting for parts much longer than it has been actually usable so far.

You do make me feel a little better about my spending though haha, would really love to invest in a CNC milling machine at some point.

Although for me, this has been while I’ve been a student up until a few weeks ago so expendable income isn’t exactly a big part of my budget. At least uni is out of the way now so I won’t feel so bad “wasting” so much of my money on one of my hobbies :stuck_out_tongue:

Sold my Boosted that I bought for around $600 for $1000 (he was desperate), I’ve spent all of that money, and probably over budget by $100-$200, maybe less than $100 actually, not sure because I always had a few hundred hovering from when I got paid and stuff.I was going to buy a few tools, but I know a few people who can help me put it all together since they all have the tools already.

My list of things bought:

Enertion VESC, trucks, motor and motor mount

40 Samsung 18650 25R cells (to be 10s4p pack)

I bought a piece of stiff marine plywood that I was $30 and I was able to cut two decks out of it (one similar to the Inboard, and my second will be similar to the Yuneec ego 2 so basically $15 each for a deck

Otang In Heats (plus two free Boosted drive wheels a friend gave)

Some Gates 219mm long 15mm wide belts

A Boosted Board remote (currently being modded by an RC expert)

Pulley from RS components

My latest purchase is an enclosure made out of fiberglass? I think? From @Mastercho

I probably forgot about some small things, but all up, considering the bad USD to AUD rates, I was able to stick close in my budget of $1000 AUD which according to Google is $752.14 USD

I estimate that labor costs of getting the remote modded and a friend putting my battery pack together will cost another $100 or so…

Who is this “rc expert” who is modding the Boosted remote?

You’re Aussie too right? I was directed to this guy, who has an RC shop somewhere in Sydney and was told he helped someone build his e-board, and has a lot of knowledge in this kind of stuff. I’m still discussing details and I’m going to visit him sometime soon in the coming weeks, I can show you how it all turns out when/if it gets finished.

I shouldn’t have said currently being modded, but it’s been discussed and all and I just need to pop in to his shop.

Yeah, I’m in Melbourne. Sounds cool! Be sure to update us, maybe some of us can replicate what he did.

It’s really not the best tool to make boards. I’m making aboard unlike anything anyone’s ever made before, just like my first board was also. But there’s other cores and materials which you can make boards quicker. This process takes an hour per sheet to cut factoring in clamping time. And at 17 layers, it’s hard to make it scalable to production.

Fair enough, I’m sure it would be handy for a bunch of projects either way. Curious to see what makes this board so different now. What I’m really looking forward to though is the day when consumer grade 3D metal printers start coming to market…

1 Like

Will do, it is a costly project for some who don’t already have the remote (I managed to get a brand new one free under ‘warranty’ even though it was out of warranty, but I’m not complaining), since you have to buy a new remote which costs a lot of money to begin with.

It was mainly the housing of the remote and the wheel trigger part I wanted anyways, so 3D printing might be a cheaper option. Not actually sure if 3D printing is ‘cheap’? I need to get a very small part, about the size of my palm printed as a belt and pulley protector, wonder how much it’d cost for a company or someone to print it.

I’m getting a Wanhao Duplicator i3 for Christmas. I would be happy to 3d print something for you if you pay postage.

Exactly what I said a few years ago. And they are still super expensive lol.

I started with around a $500 budget, and am quickly approaching the 500% over budget zone. Actually, my first board ended up being less than $600, but has snowballed into 3 working boards, and parts for another 2 more. @Michaelinvegas’ Dave Chappelle reference was dead on. Lol. But like @Stevemk14ebr said, this shit is fun as hell, so no regrets…so far.

1 Like

It’s all worth it

Have you seen this mess

:point_down:t2: wtf!!!

3 Likes

I don’t want to count :joy: I think I did x4, and the end is nowhere near (still need to try another deck for my second build and a custom battery at least) ^^ Time to sell one build I guess…

1 Like

I have a problem with switching boards all the time. I’m $200 over on boards alone, not to mention further upgrades I’m planning like VESC and bigger batteries.

1 Like

I thought they did the assembly themselves in CA and tested every Vesc before shipping ?

So far, I’m about $200 over what I originally planned on spending. The new deck and second remote were the main things, but I blew around $100 on all those little parts. Wires, tools, switches, shrink tube, odds and ends… I sold my Evolve setup for a grand to fund my DIY. Ended up spending only around $100 more. Not too bad.

Of course now I want to build a board that’s a little lighter, maybe go for a dual motor…