How much will my board tilt? Should I go drop through or not? Harder bushings?

I’m building a board based on a long board with TorqueBoards 218mm trucks and 107mm Abec 11 wheels. I’m trying to determine whether I have enough room to make it a drop through or not. I would like to, if possible. So, one question I have is, how much (e.g., 1 inch on each side) will the board drop when I turn? I’m just trying to take measurements to see if the board will hit the motors if I make it a drop through. Also, the stock bushings in the trucks seem pretty soft. Will I want stiffer ones? Obviously, that would reduce the amount of board tilt.

Thanks, Jay

If you drop through you will likely need to reverse mounted the motors to make it work.

1 Like

I was really hoping to keep the motors tucked underneath. Any thoughts on how much stability I would gain by doing a drop through? As I understand it, that would be the main benefit, besides just not towering above the ground.

Thanks, Jay

I’ve only built one drop through esk8, it was on evolve trucks, buy I didn’t like it. With 218mm trucks and good deck cutouts you can use 4mm risers and you’ll be good, if you top mount.

1 Like

Why would risers be necessary?

to stop the deck leaning in to your motors…

1 Like

How much clearance is typically desired between the motors/motor mounts and the ground?

Thanks, Jay

another factor to consider is your phase wires. If you mount your motors forward of the truck hanger (most common method) you either run the wires out your battery enclosure and loop them under the motors or you router channels into your deck. Looping the phase wires will require a larger raiser to avoid your motors spinning against and chewing through your phase wires. The end result of looping the phase wires is a deck that’s higher off the ground.

I prefer a lower deck, so I route channels and use a 1/4 shock pad/raiser and have plenty of clearance for my wheels and motors.

imageimageimage

1 Like

Forgot to add, revers mounting the motors avoids the phase wire clearance issue becaue the motors are facing the other way. I’ve buit one drop through deck with 100mm MBS wheels and reverse mounted the single motor. Worked fine, but would still scrape the battery enclosure pretty easily. Plus the taller wheels negate the drop through stability. I love drop through for my push boards, but for esk8…its not really worth the hassle.

1 Like