How often do you turn off your board?

As the title says, how often do you turn off your board? I usually leave my board on for weeks at a time, almost never turning it off. Can that cause problems?

3 Likes

Why wld you do that??

7 Likes

I turn it off every time I ride!! So should you! Youare draining your batteries and asking for trouble by leaving it on!

4 Likes

I don’t get how is it bad? The only thing that’s draining my batteries would be a bluetooth module and 2 lights for the vesc.

1 Like

I drained my pack dry by leaving it on for 2 weeks. (A123 are tough!) Learned my lesson.

Vesc has a decent amount of drain just being on.

2 Likes

I turn my board off when I’m not using it always.

I disconnect the loop key when I don’t use it. There ain’t no turning off on my board.

1 Like

What do you gain by leaving it on though? Why not just power it off?

2 Likes

I’m really fikiny about that, I’ll turn it off whenever I’m not using it (any time it isn’t rollin’ it’s off), probably just personal preference but that’s what I do.

3 Likes

I step off my board at the end of a ride, and turn it off.

I kept it on for a while once and noticed it dropped in voltage just over a few hours. I said ‘nope not again’

1 Like

Guy just fix your power switch or replace it or just get a loop key lol

3 Likes

seems like a lot of paranoia in this thread and no actual testing…

there is no way the electronics on drains the battery enough to actually worry about… and i will prove it by testing it.

1 Like

It’s not, I Iock the house in the evening in case I forget to or fall asleep. Because you could get busy forget about it.

1 Like

You risk dropping cells below their empty voltage, which is especially bad if youre running lipos. At a low enough voltage, even a few days with low power consumption of vescs/bluetooth modules is enough to cause cells to drop to harmful levels given the steep drop off on the voltage curve.

If you really want to test this, run your cells empty till theyre at 3.4v and leave your board on. Tell us how long it takes for cells to get unbalanced or drop below 3.0v.

1 Like

I turn it off every time i dont use it, i had a board turned on once for more then a few days.

The entire battery was below the limit so i had to get all cells charged up again before the BMS would charge the pack, i never do that again.

1 Like

Make sure you have a BT Mod on the VESC since most if not all of our boards have them.

Left my board on for 4 days. Battery went from 50.4V to 36.5V. Maybe that’s just my system, but there is definitely drain.

When are you going to learn that being cheap never works out just replace the power switch guy

2 Likes

that seems extremely excessive… well unlike most of you, i will give this a test in the name of science to see how bad the drain actually is.

you can call it stupid, but i’m doing this in the sake of science and weight reduction, no power switch + b.s mosphets that don’t even work means i save time and money if it eventually fails, and i always charge it to full anyway so not like i’m one of those guys that will leave it on for 2 years and never check it or use it.

yes… it’s definitely dumb to try new things out. thanks for your input.

maybe we should’ve stuck with horses and not advanced past them…

2 Likes