How often do you turn off your board?

how do you leave a board on for a few days without charging it or even using it…

I ride eboards every day. can’t go one day without it.

so you def. need a power switch.

what a terrible terrible example.

it’s more comparable to like leaving a monitor in standby always… sure there is a risk the monitor can have some plasma burn, but what if it isn’t a plasma TV, what if it’s so efficient that nothing goes wrong.

oh well, that’s my hope…

if the voltage doesn’t drop more than .5v/day (which still seems like a lot) i won’t bother with a power button.

Also, something much harder to test is longevity of the battery. if the battery is constantly draining, even slightly, then the battery will most likely fail sooner. You would probably save money by adding a power switch in this case.

you’re just evading the question, not answering it.

do you unplug every single electronic in your home at night in fear that it might fail and catch fire too?

cause some people do the same thing with fans. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_death)

what do you gain from having a switch, it seems highly unnecessary. and other eboards have done away with them… like the inboard m1.

basically the point is to make it as simple and clean as possible and lower the chance of anything failing/going wrong. if the switch consistently fails then i don’t see a point for them, you wouldn’t buy a lock for your home if it constantly gets stuck and won’t let you in… would ya?

… where is the source for that?

cycles diminish battery life sure, but once again, no one here knows how much exactly the electronics on a board will consume… it’s negligible at best since actually using the board will diminish the battery life WAY more then a switch ever will.

anyhow, i’m being quite repetitive. I guess i’ll update with results soon, if it worked you’ll know, if it doesn’t i’ll hide and cower away like a sewer rat. :smile:

1 Like

Like I said previously, I have monitored my board for 4 days while leaving it on, and it did drain all the way to 0%. Your board might somehow be way more efficient then mine on stand-by, so you will have to check that out for yourself.

Asking for a source? Yet you even said yourself that “cycles diminish battery life”. Not sure if a source is really needed.

Once per ride

2 Likes

not many people wake up and think about there esk8 I know I don’t and I often on short notice have to make some large trip, which then after I’m drained and jump straight to bed.

And if the cycle continues My batteries that are at 3.4 can drop very fast and get unbalanced

Edit: I never leave my lipos at 3.4V I’m just trying to prove a point LoL.

1 Like

10 Likes

im new but my board is only on when i am riding it. there is no point of leaving it on when not in use. do you leave your car run in the driveway until you need to drive it somewhere?

1 Like

Source for this statement

“if the battery is constantly draining, even slightly, then the battery will most likely fail sooner.”

seems like utter shit, no way it slowly draining is worse for cells then getting the cells really hot during rides… as they usually get.

so show me a source where slowly draining batteries will destroy it, if anything it’s the opposite as heat is what diminishes battery life most… and slow draining would mean no heat.

1 Like

well, lucky for me I do, my life revolves around esk8 as sad as it may sound… it gives me an escape.

esk8 is my heroin.

2 Likes

Well that’s enough tak and let some put the science where our mouths are shall we?

For this experiment , you should test your board averagely (multiple times)

Condition A) Single Motor (1 ESC)

Condition B Dual Motor (2 ESC)

Condition C) Single Motor + BT Module (1 ESC + BT MOD)

Condition D) Dual Motor (2 ESC + BT MOD)

Condition E) Single Motor + BT Mod w Phone BT Off

Condition F) Dual Motor + BT Mod w/ Phoen Bt Off

Conditons E & F will serve as a control group? to see if the BT drains more energy if it has an existing connection with a device (condition C and D) or if it drains more energy searching for that connection.

The existence of the single and Dual motor test are just to ensure that a full set up is tested.

For each trial the boards must be at 100% charge

2 Likes

Yeah slowly draining them still creates more heat than not training them at all. No matter how you look at it it batteries have a limited cycle count, and no matter how slow you drain them it still reduces cycle life. Sure it’s less hard on the cells than doing high amperage pulls.

1 Like

Haha no kidding! XD

I recently linked in Martin’s post about auto on/off from an eneloop conversation the only thing taking power when idle is the LEDs and quiessent current of the arm chip in the vesc. From the eneloop forum a few guys who tested said it was about 20-25mA (I’m assuming they were on 10S or so). You can easily measure this with a multimeter to see how much it drains when idle, while it’s not significant enough for me to go along with the auto off idea I still unplug my board when I get home, there’s just no good reason to keep it on and out wear on the batteries for nothing. I take out the loop key to turn it off and throw the loop key in my helmet with the remote, when I want to go I plug in the loop key and flick the switch on the remote this isn’t digging into my time really (probably spent more time writing this than I have plugging and unplugging an xt-90.

Correction meant endless loop forum not eneloop I mix up that battery company and forum all the time.

that’s not a fair comparison, as that uses way more energy then a few electronics being on…

let me ask you this… do you leave your fridge on when not in use? how about your clock… does that stay on?

why? you turn off your clocks to conserve energy.

there has to be a line, and if the electronics don’t consume enough energy then there is no reason not to leave it on especially if you’re like me and use the thing literally everyday.

but ok, just add a button/switch that will eventually fail, not my problem. :wink:

The electronics your talking about are hooked to mains power it’s different than batteries that wear out. I do turn off my laptop or put it to sleep when I’m not using it for the same reason. Apples to oranges.

1 Like

right… but you still don’t know how much it drains exactly. you are guessing… i will put it to the test… if it’s significant enough then yes, i agree it’s not a good idea. if not however… it will always remain on like my clock or tv box does.

Based on the numbers I saw you’re losing 200mAh for every 10hrs