How should I go about programming double vesc

It’s got nothing to do with jitters or anything like that. You’re just stressing it. As I said eventually it will fail. Google connecting two 5v rails in parallel. There are plenty of explanations as to why doing this is bad practice

As you can see in the thread: it only started working once I reconnected them.

Also there is quite some contrary information out there with people saying one or the other. In the end I have not encountered a single case where NOT removing the voltage line had a negative effect. https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?s=e83ddd9f7650bc51c141657d79e53a11&p=14651248&postcount=11

I’m talking about electrical engineering here. Not RC forums. It’s not a good practice. They teach you that in school.

"In general, a power supply isn’t expected to operate in a redundant mode (i.e. with outputs tied together).

In industry parlance, this function is called OR-ing (not O-ring). If a power supply is designed with OR-ing in mind, there will be several additions to the circuitry:

Some means of isolation (diodes or MOSFETs) Some means of maintaining regulation at absolute zero load (anti-rollback) Some means of load balancing (forced or droop) These factors allow you to connect identical voltage rails together to provide load current beyond what a single supply can do, and allow for the rail to stay up (if the load can be delivered by N-1 units) if a single unit goes down. It also gives you some measure of protection if you accidentally connect a higher voltage to a lower voltage."

1 Like

I am not sure what you want me to say: It did not work without the connection - now it does. In my case I don’t care what good practice is - I just want it to work.

I read your thread and it is obvious you have a failing ESC since it jitters on a single drive setup and has nothing to do with the receiver wires. Some component in it is faulty. What I suspect is going on is that your 5v line is dropping, which is causing the signal line coming from the receiver to jitter. By connecting the second esc in parallel, that esc’s 5v rail power gets pegged to the other and is most likely why it works.

I would not give recommendations based on a faulty setup. Yours works as long as the second esc doesnt start to jitter and as is you are putting an extra load on it.

The reason you are not meant to connect two 5v rails in parallel is stated above. You can take that however you want.

you’re totally right, not sure why i was so hung up on bluetooth. yes, 2.4ghz remote receiver.

no worries, i should have given you a better explanation earlier.

parts needed:

TWO 3-pin servo wire, male to male ONE splitter, 3-pin servo wire, 2 female to 1 male - something like this

so, the MALE end of the splitter goes into your remote receiver, for me it’s channel 2 (yours may be different, test it out):

then the two servo wires are connected to the female ends of your splitter.

then each of the servo wires gets connected to your vesc.

watch torqueboards’ instructions on how:

here’s the part where you cut the 5v wire. but let me just explain why again.

if you look at the vesc schematic, the servo connection outputs 5 volts through the center pin.

your remote receiver requires 5 volts to operate.

since we’re connecting two vescs, middle wire will now carry 10 volts to the remote receiver.

that’s why we cut one of the 5v line.

put together it looks like this, RED is the 5v line.

No it will not - it will still carry 5V

1 Like

hm…if this is the case then no need to cut the wire.

i was strictly going off @psychotiller’s advice but didn’t measure it with a multi-meter.

at this point i’m too lazy to take stuff apart to test, but @moe_lester it may be good to check the voltages. if after connecting everything the middle wire reads 5 volts then you’re good to go, no need to cut anything.

As @Maxid said, the voltage will still be 5v. The reason you cut the wire is what I explained above. It is not done to protect the receiver, it is done to protect the VESCs from each other.

there you go then, makes sense.

i’ve cut one of the 5v wires, works great.

I’ve also heard you should disconnect 1 of the red wires in Y-servo config. Makes sense.

Maybe use the redundant red wire for a lil 5V tail light? Curious if this would be bad for the vesc, and what kind of amp draw this 5V out would allow for safely. @PXSS, maybe you could help here? Sorry, I’m no electrical engineer as you might’ve guessed.

I think the VESC can output 1A from the 5V rail. I’m just going by memory though. There are several threads about pulling power from the vesc for led lights. As long as you’re not pulling a lot of power, you’re not damaging anything

I might have missed something, but why not can bus?

Cut the wire and you’ll have no issues or surprises. I I’ve ran it both ways. Cut wire is better.

Canbus is just an unneeded complication and doesn’t always work.

I’ve heard that, but never had the problem myself. Weird.

Just curious, if I am splitting ppm, can I still use a Bluetooth module?

Pretty sure not. I kept running into problems because the apps can only connect to one so the other never connects. Got it to work once but never again

What about only connecting it to one VESC, or having a module for each. Not the most convenient I kmow, but possible?

i’ll test it once I get my vescs back.

got 10 modules in stock atm if you wanna pick one or two up :yum:

1 Like