How should I go about programming double vesc

No it will not - it will still carry 5V

1 Like

hmā€¦if this is the case then no need to cut the wire.

i was strictly going off @psychotillerā€™s advice but didnā€™t measure it with a multi-meter.

at this point iā€™m too lazy to take stuff apart to test, but @moe_lester it may be good to check the voltages. if after connecting everything the middle wire reads 5 volts then youā€™re good to go, no need to cut anything.

As @Maxid said, the voltage will still be 5v. The reason you cut the wire is what I explained above. It is not done to protect the receiver, it is done to protect the VESCs from each other.

there you go then, makes sense.

iā€™ve cut one of the 5v wires, works great.

Iā€™ve also heard you should disconnect 1 of the red wires in Y-servo config. Makes sense.

Maybe use the redundant red wire for a lil 5V tail light? Curious if this would be bad for the vesc, and what kind of amp draw this 5V out would allow for safely. @PXSS, maybe you could help here? Sorry, Iā€™m no electrical engineer as you mightā€™ve guessed.

I think the VESC can output 1A from the 5V rail. Iā€™m just going by memory though. There are several threads about pulling power from the vesc for led lights. As long as youā€™re not pulling a lot of power, youā€™re not damaging anything

I might have missed something, but why not can bus?

Cut the wire and youā€™ll have no issues or surprises. I Iā€™ve ran it both ways. Cut wire is better.

Canbus is just an unneeded complication and doesnā€™t always work.

Iā€™ve heard that, but never had the problem myself. Weird.

Just curious, if I am splitting ppm, can I still use a Bluetooth module?

Pretty sure not. I kept running into problems because the apps can only connect to one so the other never connects. Got it to work once but never again

What about only connecting it to one VESC, or having a module for each. Not the most convenient I kmow, but possible?

iā€™ll test it once I get my vescs back.

got 10 modules in stock atm if you wanna pick one or two up :yum:

1 Like

I did see your other post. :slight_smile: that is why I was asking these questions!

1 Like

hahaha cool! should be getting my vescs back mid next week, will let you know :slight_smile:

you can most definitely use bt when splitting ppm.

the vesc that the bt module is attached, make sure ppm+uart is enabled, set baud rate to 9600.

then the vesc app (Ackmaniac) will multiply values if you set it was multi motor.

4 Likes