How To Build Your Own Spot Welder From A Microwave!

Ah OK. Sounds like that would have done it.

You still have explained how soldering them is a greater risk than working with AC mains.

You don’t need irregular current flow to kill you with AC.

Also, quite a few 18650s come with a protection IC.

18650s come with a protection IC -> NO, none of them do

You still have explained how soldering them is a greater risk than working with AC mains. -> I don’t have to argue with you any longer. 1) It wont help, 2) You got all your experience from the internet and you will always think you know best.

you’re both right and wrong

yes 18650 can come with a protection IC but very few do, mostly just button tops.

soldering is dangerous because of 3 things

1. shorts
  2. chemistry
  3. heat

when soldering you can short a cell, samsungs dont but some other brands will FUCKING EXPLODE if shorted.

chem of the battery may not like heat and either de-grade or go boom on you.

the heat of an iron can and will kill some of your max capacity or if hot enough blow up the battery.

you may have noticed a common theme, yeah thats right, energy storage devices explode when fucked with.

2 Likes

Starting this project. The house micro wave just stopped working yay

2 Likes

Cant wait to do this! Thanks for the write up! Our college engineering club was about to start fund raising to buy one, now we can just make it!

Just ordered some 4 gauge wire, my school’s shop already has a microwave

I’ve seen this method a bunch on the internet searching for diy spot welders. Great job making this work. hope everyone that tries this has a healthy respect for electricity, this is 100’s of amps your dealing with.

Guess who just found a MONSTER old school microwave in the backroom of our old fraternity house? Spot welder here I come! Has anyone thought about making a 4 prong? Like a double two prong? I was also thinking about an inline varistor to control the power level possibly? Any thoughts on that?

Nice project!

Do you happen to have a copy of the arduino sketch you used for this?

Step 8 - OLED Dispay :wink: