How to design a gear drive

Damn, I was hopping to ride for a bit, just to guarantee that the teeth are properly designed.

I guess I’ll trust fusion gear generator.

Good luck on this project

If you want to it right forget laser cutting, for the thickness a gear is you can’t get perfectly parallel faces and also the surface finish is not ideal

Your best bet is to go to some company that make gears or buy them in AliExpress, there is a lot of vendors for a reasonable price

And take a look here to familiarize with some terms and manufacturing techniques

Did you use the built-in gear generator by Fusion? If so I think you should be good, I have used it several times myself. However 8mm may be a bit thin, most use 15mm.

My initial idea was to cut both gear at once and then invert one of them so the laser skew would match and I would get something like a helical gear with shallow angle. Unfortunately I can’t use POM if I do this.

I’ll take a look in AliExpress again, couldn’t find anything that would fit before.

Not sure I can cut 15mm.

If our use was low torque it would support it, but it’s not, I did the calculations a while ago and the stress the material is subject at peak torque of a high power builds is significantly even for high grade steel, if you have miss alignments it will only increase

I will see if I find the vendor I bought

EDIT: Got from them, for the price is ok, nothing precision ground or anything like that, but is good and way better than anything you will get on the laser

https://pt.aliexpress.com/store/318640?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2742b90aQyVH1U

A good way to improve the fit on these low cost gears is instead of grease, put valve grinding compound and let it runs for a few minutes, them dissemble and clean everything really good, preferable to put some old or low quality bearings when doing this and throw them away after

You got standard processing? They seem to have a fine processing.

(I should’ve asked this before chinese new year :smiley: )

Do you think I can drill a new bore hole? They sell only 6M for the small gear. Also, you are using metal against metal? People above recommended POM.

They have booth I think, but it will be while until they answer

If you have a lathe yes, with a drill (or even drill press) it’s impossible to get it centered enough

I think I’ve found nylon gears there, but for steel on steel it would need oil bath, grease is not enough, but them the design gets way more complicated, if you managed to find POM gear for a good price go for it, only went steel/steel because custom made gear are too expensive

I remember seeing a gear design of you with an oil bath. Did you ever work more on this? I am having a hard time working out how to make the drive oilproof.

The design is done, but since I switched to larger motors I need to see if it still fit, probably no without the motor getting to close to the ground

For the oil you would need to have a gasket all around the case and also axial retainers on the axle that exit to the wheel, but the surface finish of that have to follow a set of parameters for surface roughness or it will leak

Also depending on your motor you would need another seal on the motor shaft and somehow figure a way to make it adjustable

Regarding laser cutting, you could easily just do many layers (8x 1mm sheets) and bolt them together through the side. Only for the wheel side though, motor would (I assume) be steel or aluminum.

To me this doesnt sound like a good idea tbh. Laser gutters usually have a precision of ~0.3mm, which is too much error for a gear.

@Pedrodemio My initial plan was to use sealed ball bearings for the axial sealings, however i dont know if i should trust them. They’re not waterproof at least.

1 Like

I can work with grease, with oil it will leak even when using 2RS bearings, @nuttyjeff did this with his gear drive, but you must guarantee that the cover is concentric with the rest of the moving parts, a seal has a higher tolerance to misalignment

Quote from china is $72 per gear, away too much right? Waiting on quote from local shop.

Shame I need a mill to make the gears…

Hardened steel on hardened steel These spurs are ready available and you will only buy it once. Have the center machined out and print your adapter to bolt it up. Pinions are 8mm in all sizes. Mod 1.5
I use a shot of mx chain lube before I ride and run em open air.

Do you know what the modulus is on these?

1.5 Mod right? Or is modulus something different?

1 Like

Nope, thats what I was asking. Thanks

2 Likes

Currently looking at making my own gears as well. I have access to a waterjet, so I’m tempted to grab a 1/4" steel plate and make a few sets of motor gears/mounts in one fell swoop; then just print a wheel gear out of POM or nylon. Thoughts?