How to get a VESC to run a BLDC without a transmitter/receiver

Hi guys,

Absolute noob here with a different sort of problem. I have a project (started by someone else) that uses a Flipsky Mini FSESC4.20. It runs a 120KV motor and has I think an oscillator circuit that the VESC receiver cable plugs into. Pins 2 and 4 of the Hall sensor input (Flipsky ID’s them as H3 and H1) when connected/shorted via a switch would turn the motor on. I updated the firmware and calibrated the motor (I have a new motor in there now). The entire process worked out fine, the VESC went through it’s steps of beeping and rotating etc until the app said it was all done. However when I now try to switch it on (via that pin H3 and H1 connection) the motor does not rotate. I must have removed some command inadvertently when I calibrated the VESC to the new motor because it worked fine before.

Can anyone offer help and advice here? How do I program/set the VESC to turn the motor on (at full throttle) by means of a switch instead of a transmitter/receiver? Any help appreciated, many thanks in advance in guiding a noob here.

Cheers, Kris

1 Like

Updating the firmware wiped out the custom firmware you had. Unless you find whomever put it there, you are out of luck, it has to be remade.

1 Like

Ouch. Thanks for the reply b264. I can’t locate the guy. Could you or anyone else advise how to solve my problem? The VESC was working by switching/shorting pins H3 and H1 before. That appears to be the only change from a standard VESC. It is receiving what I am assuming is a full throttle signal from an oscillator circuit I can see at all times but only powers the motor when the pins are shorted.

1 Like

You could just use a servo tester and either a twist or trigger throttle. I did it for an Ebike project I’m working on. It involves soldering just one wire on the servo tester board and making a few connections. If you want I can dig up the thread where I got the instructions.

Hey thanks for the reply man. Yes please do dig up that that thread if you can or point me to it.

1 Like

No problem. I did find this one but I think theres a shorter, more concise one somewhere. Just gotta find it. Also I can help you through the process. Its just a matter of desoldering a potentiometer and soldering 3 wires that come from the ebike throttle*.

*had to look that up. Its been a while.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=12196

1 Like

Hey thanks man. Appreciate the effort here. b264 has offered a good solution here too which I’m going to try as well. Much appreciated here in just reverting to my query and digging up this info. :+1:

1 Like