How to mold my enclosure?

I also made a 3d printed model and then layed out the inner side with plastic wrap, then glasfiber and resin, plastic wrap again. And finally i pressed everything in shape with stuffing all full with wet flower soil. Guess wet sand works better but i wasn’t brave enough to steel some from the kids play ground at the neighborhood. But even if you do it from the outside simply get a lot of sand and press it in shape. Downside is that you have to sand it afterwards to get a good surface but that’s easy to do under the sink with water. This way you don’t have all the particles in the air. Thats a real getto style but easy to do for everybody who doesn’t have a vacuum pump at home (what’s the reason to have one at hand :wink: ).

Can you please link the one you are using?

I 3D printed a mould like this. Will glue the parts and then do like you suggested vacuum it. Is there anything but packing tape that is usable on the plastic bag to make it release the epoxy? I don’t have latex bags…

Whats wrong with packing tape?

Or you can use mold release?

Vaseline

http://www.mbfg.co.uk/release-wax-agents/meguiars-mirrorglaze-8.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIybjw5u3N2gIVhJUbCh13SQkuEAQYASABEgLMkPD_BwE This is the one I use. I use polyester resin based moulds so there may be some difference with epoxy resins.

1 Like

Just thought that it would be hard to tape down the plastic bag without getting rinkles on it. I can give it a go :slight_smile:

How long did that take to print?

@bigben

How do you make your molds?

About 24hours i think. I just ran a part or two every evening so i didnt count ^^

Cool

I am also using a 3D printer to make an enclosure but I have done things differently

I make the positive external shape of the enclosure. (plug) Then if it is for a specific board I fit it to the board then polish it up many times with the mould release wax. Then I can lay up the mould with gel and fibreglass. (like moulding a boat) After this has cured I remove the plug and there is the mould. Then it can be waxed ups and you can start making enclosures.

1 Like

I’m really happy with the end results.

Just need to finish sanding & painting.

1 Like

NIce! Please share the procedure you followed. If you would like also to share where and what material you got I think it would be pretty cool. Thx man

Fiber glass and resin sellers have mold release. A lot people use carnauba wax.

1 Like

Do you have more pictures of the process? Did you use vacum?

I use meguirs number 8 mould release wax. Here are a few photos of some early enclosures.

2 Likes

What I did is applying a release product and then applied the fiberglass cloths. I made sure each layer is pressed down as much as I could. I then removed the 3D printed enclosure and was really surprised on how well it turned out “out of the box”. I then had to do many corrections, like filling some holes with polyester resin and adding more layers of fiberglass. Oh, and I had to do a lot of sanding. That’s pretty much it.

Unfortunately I didn’t take any informative pictures in the process. I didn’t use vacuum.

Thank for the explanation. So after you finished and let it cured, you fix the imperfection with new layer of resin and fiberglass. Correct? What did you use for sanding (grit)? Wet sanding? Thx a lot

Yes, correct. For the sanding I used 120-150 grit to remove any bumps, then 220 grit to make it smooth before painting. Final step is 2,000 grit (wet sanding) to make it feel like butter.

1 Like

Appreciate man!

1 Like

I posted in another thread too but I was hoping in some advice before go ahead and do something stupid…

Maybe a 3rd option would be cut a straight piece from the front edge and make it again that part. Would it be better? Thx guys