How to secure/lock up your board for safe storage in public areas?

Here is a rough sketch of what I am imagining…

Problems include:

1. Bottom half of board swinging
  2. board length may hit your butt, or awkwardly hit leg when running
  3. secure way to semi-permanently keep device on backpack
1 Like

I see dirty butts unless there is a sleeve … But yes the swaying would be no Bueno …also hitting the back of the legs …

Turned around would be the only viable solution to avoid the above

What material would you use for that strapped mount?

Im thinking it should be something stiff.

Some laptop / camping bags has ‘‘hard’’ back surface. I would imagine that it needs to be sturdy, so the board’s weight does not lie entirely on the backpack. Ideally, the back should have a ‘‘frame’’ structure. One ‘‘mount’’ / support point for top of the backpack and one for bottom.

Otherwise the board is just lying on your backpack / on your own back and pushing its weight against you

I Imagine something like this:

As there’s metal already, you wouldnt need to modify it that much. Covering the bare metal would be a great idea to make it nicer looking, so it does not look like you are from army.

https://www.amazon.com/L-I-C-E-BackPack-shoulder-straps-waistbelt/dp/B000KD3GTE/ref=lp_3400481_1_4?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1468823199&sr=1-4

This, of course, is custom / diy solution but it seems people here are creative enough to make everything ranging from remotes to enclosures.

https://www.instagram.com/p/_5DXnD29/?taken-by=eboarding

2 Likes

That’s what I meant, just an extra hole for locking up your board! Outside edges perhaps can be made from metal, so that there’s extra protection if someone tries to cut the board.

People gets more naughty than ever. How do you protect your motor / ESC from being stolen? It just needs a thief with a good tool set :smiley:

Or a jerk to break shit

If it’s inside enclosure, a lock might be the answer… :smiley: Im doubting that someone would try and have all the tools at hand, if you were just leaving your board for 30min outside of mall with a lot of ppl passing by.

Though, it is hard to predict such circumstances and every place / corner / situation will be different.

That’s why, I think, place is important, so I wouldnt leave a board in a shady corner 500m away from people unless it is hidden / covered, so nobody can know there is an unattended board…

Somone probably should come up with some sort of most used thief techniques and how to avoid them to predict various scenarios and how to overcome them…

Carrying a board, especially if it is a mountainboard, is not always that handy / comfortable. Not sure if a lot of people carry their mountainboards along with them…

The most tricky part, in my opinion, is to secure the motor. Unless there is some form of enclosure / box for it, it is quite open / available :frowning:

Have not seen many diy enclosures for totally hidden motor and belt. It seems only commerical eboard makers tend to make these.

hey guys hopefully i can make this problem become one of the past for you i have a design that if it takes off ill put a link but my device solves this problem very easily and it should be on the market in about 5 months so keep an eve out on this form ill give you guys a better update once i finish the talks with the suppliers but its comeing soon

I used to stash my board in the bushes outside my school, because I hate carrying it around all day but my school just recently put these lockable skateboard racks in for us. Pretty cool idea because I can actually lock it in with a lock and not worry. I think the company that makes them is ground control systems. Hope this helps. IMG_2845

3 Likes

Anyone with a top mounted battery mountain board have any ideas? So far all I’ve come up with is trying to strap it across my back like a guitar or drag it around.

I just had a great idea :bulb: use handcuffs

There is a review video below the product description, that shows how you can easily open the loop by wiggling it around. So not safe at all.

I may have found a possible solution: You need two locks, and with at least one of them you need to be able to adjust the length of the cable, so you can wrap it tightly around the trucks of your drive, then you use the other lock/loop cable to go around the first lock and the pole or bike rack, you are attaching it to.

But yeah be careful, wouldn’t leave it for more than a few hours there. Certainly not overnight. I read somewhere, that the value of the lock should be a tenth the value of the bike, so these thin cables, wouldn’t offer adequate protection for such an expensive board.

In any case, here are some tips for secure bike locking from kryptonite, but I am sure they can apply for Esk8es too:

1. CHOOSE THE RIGHT LOCK. The level of security you need depends on where you are leaving your bike, and for how long.
  2. ALWAYS LOCK YOUR BIKE to a solid object that it cannot be lifted over.
  3. LOCK YOUR BIKE in a well lit area with high foot traffic.
  4. MAKE SURE what you lock your bike to cannot be cut.
  5. LOCK ACCORDING TO VALUE frame first, then back wheel, and finally front wheel.
  6. GET A TIGHT FIT! The less room inside of the u-lock or chain, the more difficult it will be for thieves to use their tools.
  7. POSITION YOUR LOCK off the ground with the keyhole facing down.

I had an interesting idea for like a security bag you can put you stuff in (would come in multiple sizes for bikes-skateboards-etc. Zip object into bag-lock to poles and racks.

It would be a tough Kevlar and wire reinforced bag with sensors to detect Being cut open, extremely loud alarm. what I think would be most reassuring to have would be a cellular link to the bad so if it senses movement or disturbance the bag could call your phone and you could yell at whoever is touching your stuff I’m on my way or whatever. Maybe a hidden Integrated :camera:.

When the alarm goes off first thing it says is YOU ARE ON CAMERA STEP AWAY.

You can invest in a PinPointRC Black Box 2.0. Super easy to install and you can track your electric skateboard directly from your phone if it’s stolen. Check it out www.pinpointrc .com

Hey!

Have you seen Skate Snatch? They have custom skate locks for all boards!

They have an instagram @ skate_snatch

or their website is skatesnatch . com

I also like you. Do you can set up the chain of that skateboard locking racks? We should ensure that the chain doesn’t loosen or give up, no matter who is tampering with it. We have two options for this tool: tying it around the truck or through the anchor spot.