How to update the vesc firmware

The lattest FIRMWARE is 2.18

You canā€™t update the hardware but the firmware. When did you buy the vesc? And firmware 2.18 ist the latest

Okay. One more time. Your Vesc is hardware version 4.12.
And the firmware that is loaded on your Vesc is version 2.18 Donā€™t mix up hardware version and firmware.

So to make it absolutely crystal clearā€¦ Your vesc is Up To Date.

1 Like

ok thanks guys

:joy: hahahaha

Before we have to much funā€¦ I was sure someone said there was a beta version they had used to update the FW !!! I mean I can wait thoughā€‹:joy::rofl::joy::rofl::joy: I mean FW not HW to btw

True, but itā€™s called VESC Tool which is the new software instead of BLDC Tool, released soon :grin: Beside VESC 6 it can upload new FW 3.26 on HW 4.7 - 4.12 (and bootloader if needed)

Thatā€™s awesome. Iā€™m planning on buying an ST link to update, but I may just wait for the release of this tool then?

I ordered a STLinkV2 plus cables from china and received it after 4 weeks. I did research for days and came to the conclusion that I donā€™t do it :joy: It looks soo complicated to me and I didnā€™t want to harm my HW because Iā€™m neither a computer nor a electriconics expert but Iā€™m sure for some people itā€™s easy to do that. But since I know how simple it is with VESC Tool by clicking just a button I would wait for it except you know what you are doing.

But I want to mention that from my experience FW 2.18 ist still the best for maytech V4.12 (which you have). The problem is that most (or all?) of them have the buggy FW (current ramp step bug). With bootloader itā€™s possible to upload bug free FW.

With my dual maytech V4.12 i tested FW 2.18, FW 2.54 and FW 3.26 with equal settings for 20km each. Then I connected it to Vesc/bldc tool and checked for faults in terminal.

FW 2.18 (bug free): 0 FAULTS FW 2.54: 37 ABS over current and 1 drv FAULTS FW 3.26: 0 FAULTS but one motor got very hot while the other is just warm (the new FW has a different way to control dual motos which my maytech didnā€™t like)

Tried FOC but there are cut offs and drv faults every single time when hitting the break.

So I ordered new quality ones from esk8.de and are super happy with them. Iā€™m running FW 3.26 in sensored FOC mode without problems so far. There are a lot of improvements regarding FOC in the new FW, thatā€™s why I gave it a try.

1 Like

So I really want to take full advntage of all the features on @rpasichnyk Metr app but Im getting this message. The VESC details from seller are also seen in screen grab. How do I get newer FW on this with no Bootloader and Im using a Mac?! This is my VESC: https://eskating.eu/product/electric-skateboard-speed-controller-maytech-based-upon-the-vesc/

10|690x159

With no bootloader you would need to install one, buy a cheap ST Link V2 of ebay they are 1 Dollar shipped and install it and download vesc project after to install the new firmware.

1 Like

Thanks, Ive just ordered an STLV2. Ive also just discovered that @rpasichnyk has released a VESC TOOL for Mac! Awesomeā€¦ its opened. So, do I still need the STLINK if I have the VescTool?

Yes, unless they recently changed that.

You can try and go into Vesc Project and Bootloader and find the right one and see what it says, i had to use a ST Link when i did it a few months ago.

1 Like