Hub motor adapter to direct drive

Also, who DOESN’T like to change out their wheels for a nice new shiny set that’s a different kind, to see how different wheels feel on your board? With hubs, that’s one of life’s little pleasures that’s strictly prohibited.

1 Like

Unless you make your own wheels… Not really hard. Simple 3d prints and pour…

Ain’t nobody got time for dat

3 Likes

I get your vendor lock fear, but what if there where different options of wheels? What if you had the options between a few different wheels (different sizes, different polyurethanes, different duros, ect.)?

Just cause it doesn’t exist today doesn’t mean it won’t in the near future…

Honestly, I don’t think most are that picky about what wheel they want to use anyway. 90%+ people just wana ride something that feels nice. And saying hubs can’t feel nice isn’t true.

I can see the benefits of a direct drive. But to me, the most important aspect of the hub is nothing outside of the wheel is moving. I guess if you ride 107mm, it’s not that big of a deal. But I rode @BigBoyToys carvon v3’s on 83mm and boy, that was scary. Rode nice, but I was ready any second to get thrown off.

It exists…

https://www.instagram.com/p/BcWQlMunKOt/

2 Likes

Not trying to doubt you, just curious if those are different blends of polyurethane. My understanding is that is more or less the complaint. Different blends have different properties as I’m sure you know. So what feels good to one might not to another. Take abec for example, they have different blends for different purposes.

Now to some degree, I can notice the difference, but at the end of the day, I’m not going to go to direct drive because of these tiny differences that most people won’t notice.

this is a DIY builders forum. If somebody on here WASN’T trying to build a set of carvons for themselves, i’d have to start wondering about you people.

13 Likes

I mean Carvon basically took a decent design in the Koowheel and applied their special sauce design pricinple and bamm…

1 Like

nevermind working on direct drives and hub motors since … like… forever. long before koowheel and maytech and anyone else was doing it really. Jerry taking that third party hub the way he did was smart, yet amusing.

1 Like

Correct, and then sold it as a ready to ride complete esk8 for $50 more than a single pair of full Carvon motors. Great Idea imo.

1 Like

The Market is small now and demand for different types of urethane is not high.

However our molds are made and urethane blends are easy to mix… We will be ready to service the demand if it arises.

The myth that hub motors means you don’t have wheels options is busted.

The myth that hub motors means less urethane is busted

The myth that hub motors are not ‘comfortable’ to ride is busted

1 Like

Go for it then. I’d love to see you work on an some part of the boards that you claim as your innovation. I don’t think direct drive motors don’t have their purpose. I just prefer my motor to be securely in my wheel, rather then outside.

I can say the same. We have some great companies we’re working with that supply our thanes, and they have some interesting formulas were working with that we have high hopes for. Even the stuff we have now is far better than most of the wheels out there.

With our latest investment in a high quality 3d printer, we’ve ready to experiment with new wheels also.

Things are changing. 2018 will be another big year for eskate.

1 Like

All the famous Longboard wheel manufacturing brands will be gone by 2020 and the esk8 companies who are innovating wheels now will be standing in their place…

If folks ain’t developing wheels they will probably be using Enertion wheels soon… lol.

2 Likes

There’s only one hub motor issue yet to be solved as far as Im concerned and that’s urethane to motor retention and longevity. You and Luke have both made big strides in this area, only time will tell if either of you have really solved it but Im excited to find out. Hopefully my Raptor 2 and set of Hummies arrive soon so I can be advocates for you both.

1 Like

No need for the passive aggressive talk. I don’t consider myself an innovator as much as I don’t consider myself a rebrand. The DD conversion is for my own personal tinkering. Might as well add to the conversation with my own studies and insight in the matter.

1 Like

Well thats true, but diy and just straight copying are not the same. Like for example i’ve done 2 decks with wire channels, but I did them by hand with a Dremel and and a completely different template that looks nothing like yours. plus its just for me!

Another thing that I didn’t see as a disadvantage of the hub motors is all the weight is on the motor. The direct drive solves this issue and gives a natural riding feel.

I’m not sure why you’re bringing up using 83mm wheels as I never mentioned that and I wouldn’t want to use them in the first place, I’d go with 97 or 107 or the pneumatic tires.

Can you tell me the specs of hummie hubs? I have seen them talked about and was on his site last night but there was zero info about them. What is their size, kv, and watts? Could those be very difficult to bore or and do this mod too?