Hub motor in a pneumatic tire

But ebike hub motors are relatively small to their wheels, when you compare them to eskate hub motors and their wheel size.

I just don’t get your point.

3 Likes

His point sounds like its heard and not learned.

1 Like

Yeah I don’t see how they wouldn’t have good torque, since as stated earlier, hub motors relative to bike tires are small, so if just one motor on a bike can produce sufficient torque, then 4 motors with much smaller wheels would produce a much greater amount… As LHB said though, just finding the right kv would be the main factor I think.

1 Like

nothing about that statement made any sense. not the statement, not the person saying it, not the idea that somebody could arrive at that conclusion after using and developing drive systems for electric motors…

3 Likes

500w is a deal breaker by itself.

That was just an example of what’s already out there. One could build a motor much more powerful easily. 63mm or even 80mm diameter motor sized stator would fit in the hub, it just would be like 40-50mm wide. Definitely could have 2000W or more…

I think there would be enough torque without, and especially enough with planetary gears!

1 Like

i’d love to stick a 100mm can inside a fat, wide tire.

4 Likes

I was just looking for dimensions of this hub, and it’s 4.25in, so about 106mm diameter and 35-40mm width I believe, so that’s plenty of room to make a killer hub motor that’s perfectly mounted.

1 Like

And this hub would be perfect too, just make a motor case that can just bolt in place the way the spokes are bolted in already.

Next question: how do you mount it to existing mountainboard trucks, or any trucks really, without widening the stance too much?

I didn’t even consider these, but why hasn’t anyone thought to make hubs that attach to the inside of Trampas Gummies, they’re 125mm, these would be so perfect!!!

2 Likes

What do you mean? I imagine they would mount to trucks the same way all hub motors are mounted to trucks… Why would that widen the stance?

I can’t quite envision this… I’m going to need a sketch or a diagram.

1 Like

What’s frank want to say that electric motor achieve high efficiency by running at low torque / high rpm

Since the dominant loss is cooper loss (I^2R), you want to run the motor at the lowest possible current, meaning the lowest possible torque, and they way to do that is to spin it fast and gear it down (for what) to increase torque at the wheel

If this lowest efficiency really comes into play in real world usage I don’t know

Another problem I see is the pneumatics tires are narrow, and motor torque for a given geometry and winding pattern is directly proportional to motor length, so maybe the motor have to be wider than the wheel/hub to be capable of doing the necessary work without overheating

But I think it’s possible to make it work and would be sick a 4WD with big off road tires

1 Like

Actually I think the wheels are 50mm wide, that’s what the 8in one’s say. So a 6350, or 8050 could fit in there! Way more power than 500W!

1 Like

Anyone know the width of the Gummies?

i imagine a 10074 wrapped in an aluminum rim with a fat, wide tire on it.

Should be able to get about 3200 watts peak out of that on an ideal day.

5 Likes

Sorry, can’t immagine that. If i would immagine i had to built one, and thats not in my budget right now.

2 Likes

There’s a lot i have to stop imagining at the moment because of that. lol

2 Likes