Hub motor in a pneumatic tire

That’s true, but the main reason for even being this topic up is that the thane seems to always fail in hubs, so if you could mount your hub motor inside the wheel hub, you would eliminate the issue of thin thane and wheel slippage.

I’m not quite sure what point you’re trying to make? If you have spent so much on thane over the years, it stands to reason that is because the thane has failed you, ie wheel slipping, etc… So why wouldn’t you consider a wheel, say like a Gummies clone or similar where you could mount your hub motor inside of it, and thereby solve your expensive thane problem…?

Or I slid it all away on the pavement.

I was just saying thane is the most expensive piece per ounce on the board. Well good thane anyway…wheels bushings…pivots…skate gold…

Where will the valve stems go?

2 Likes

Wait, you can’t fill air through sensor wires?!?

2 Likes

At 50kv those things have enough torque to ride on the ceiling :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

It just means that the motor’s rotor diameter is smaller than the wheel diameter, so there is a reduction in torque.

For example: Motor outer diameter: 63 mm Wheel diameter: 107 mm (ABEC 11 flywheel)

So the final drive is 63:107 -> 0.59:1

Or with another wheel size: Motor outer diameter: 63 mm Wheel diameter: 90 mm (ABEC 11 flywheel)

Final drive is 63:90 -> 0.7:1 so more torque compared to the upper wheel, if identical motor is used on both examples

2 Likes

I was thinking about that, and I don’t know if it’s doable, but perhaps am air nozzle could be made that comes out of the hub perpendicular to the hub and motor.

Well that feat of modern day engineering would be crazy sweet compared to the long list of horrible compromises that have had to be made in regards to all hubmotors. Carvon v4’s and six shooter wheels are likely to be the best you’ll will ever see where air is concerned.

2 Likes

Yeah those wheels would be perfect, with regards to the air nozzle. Their inner tube is just the type you’d need to make a motor in the hub design work!

If you had said that about latex I would have been impressed :rofl:

1 Like

Do it! I want a wide pneumatic tire no larger than 4.5” with a hub inside. They make the tires for remote control cars but they aren’t made to hold significant pressure.

Yes it must be done!

1 Like

Hey, so you have something like that link and don’t like it? Can’t climb a 20degree hill? https://www.ebay.com/itm/36V48V-350W-Electric-Scooter-Hub-Motor-With-Tyre-200MM-Electric-Brushless-Motor/264245853342?hash=item3d8647bc9e:m:mo__L-KgjqOKYHzScgamxkA

It looks very similar. You need to consider where you are going to use it.

@trampa, you should create the same thread on the other place too.