HUB vs BELT - Whats the latest?

Sounds like you’re asking from the UK. Most people who are replying are from the US and will have access to much cheaper parts than us here in the UK. For your budget you will most probably end up with a lot of clone parts. Possibly better to go with one large 6374 motor and a quality vesc and work from there. Motors you can get from hobbyking, where for your budget you’ll most probably be buying lipos too. https://street-wing.com is a new UK based shop so you can get an idea of what you can conveniently get for your money. With some thrifty buying and making parts/searchig for 2nd hand parts you might get something made!

1 Like

You didn’t insult me…You just said several things that I have proven false.

2 Likes

Torque and speed are opposites, so I am sure he did not mean rpm because he said “torque”

Well to elaborate more for you, what ‘’ I think’’(can’t stress it enough) he meant is that for a belt driven system that would have the same high speed range the tourqe will be the same. If it’s true or not we will have to wait and see. Now it depends a lot on wich motor you have but you have limitations with belt motors also if you go dual.

Around here, we are facts and evidence-based. What we think is irrelevant, what works is what matters.

5 Likes

He has tested them. I haven’t. We will see :slight_smile:

What limitation do we have in regard to motor selection on a belt drive??? In comparison, a hub drive has none. You are stuck with the motors it comes with.

1 Like

In a hub drive, you’re also stuck with the wheel wrappers it comes with and the gear ratio (1:1) it comes with

1 Like

I was thinking about the size of motors If you want to go dual. Even though you have enough rom for a more than enough powerful motor sett in my opinion.

so u have 650usd £500 forget about hubs or cheap ebay stuff its a waste of money… stick to using well made parts used and new…

2 Likes

Not recommended unless you disconnect the phase wires from the Vesc. Manually pushing with motors connected can damage the Vesc. On belts drives, the belts can be easily removed in about 2 min with a simple skate tool and then your free wheeling.

4 Likes

can you elaborate more on your experience with the meepo hubs?

@anon46525265 Nothing to brag about, but with that said though I weigh 93Kg, and still have to find a hill that they don’t manage to climb.

1 Like

@Namasaki In that case.

Even though you won’t be able to push so hard so that you would damage the electronics. Unless you are HERCULES. I have done it many times with no problems whatsoever.

nice!! I’m in the process of making a commuter board and am considering buying the same hubs and possibly battery from the Meepo site.

Thanks for all the info.

It seems like Belts still has it. I’ll go for a single 6374. I guess the electric motor design has been refined for years now whereas hubs are only just being developed.

In terms of batteries, I’m hoping to get hold of some new’ish 18650s and make a 10S(2 or 4)P

@bigben , yes I’m in the UK, good point. Can that make getting hold of parts hard? Are their any other UK forum member that have stock and sell on here?

I might start a build thread to track progress.

2 Likes

@anon46525265 I see that you come from Texas a place that I relate with high temps in the summer(whole year). Lots of people talk about hubs getting warm. I’m guessing hot pavement does not help the case. I live in Norway, pretty cold place. And never had problems with that. But that is my experience, so read a bit more about it. But remember the main problem with meepo board was the battery. Whatever you do, don’t use that one. It is a pack of Samsung 22p (low-end cells) they will damage the whole experience because of sag. There is a board deck producer in the USA, that makes something like loaded decks that I would suggest, http://www.customskateboards.com/Blank-Longboards/Blank-Freeride if you are on a budget so that you can buy better battery instead.

You can PM @Hummie and he’ll set you up with them. Looking at about a month till we get the next 100 motor parts. From there out for a little, should have some inventory. Depends how quick they fly off the shelves I guess :slight_smile:

More support will help speed up the process as we’ll be able to order more magnets and other parts at once, instead of in smaller batches.

I think what everyone has to remember is that we’re all entitled to our own opinion, but not to our own facts.

One thing I’ve noticed though (and I’m not claiming it’s fact) is that rolling resistance is better on a belt drive than hubs. I always heard the contrary though. When I release the accelerator on a belt drive the transition between power and coasting is smooth. With hubs, you get a slight jerk when decelerating. I could be wrong though.

It got me thinking though. Shouldn’t belt drives have less resistance considering the wheel pulley is spinning the motor at a slightly less revolution relative to the wheel speed - compared to a 1:1 ratio of a hub drive?

I’ve seen rolling resistance tests on youtube too showing belt drives rolling further than hub drives.

Your statement is so correct – I’ve never heard it phrased better.

3 Likes