Hummie vs Devin (Volts conversion to amps)

Yes, you can see it in the simulation too. Reduce L and the oscillations become larger since i changes faster. (U(t) = L * di/dt). That’s why large L makes a constant current (once it is settled, ramping will be slow) a good approximation. It is not a sine, though. More a saw tooth.

@Devin, there is no battery amp limit calculation.

You set your battery amp limit based on your battery. Mainly capacity and C-rating plus common sense. Purpose is to protect the battery from pulling too many amps which is not good for the battery.

There is no battery motor limit calculation.

You set your motor amp limit based on your motor (and your ESC). Purpose is to protect the motor from pulling too many amps and burning the windings (and to protect your ESC, altough in the ESC you probably better set a temperature limit for the Mosfets).

Those to limits are not related by any calculation method. They are related by good sense.

And in a well balanced system it could very well be that none of these limit settings limit anything.

It is a dynamic situation so: solve the differential equation: U(t) = L * di/dt U(t) is the voltage over L, wich is U_PWM - U_R = U_PWM - iR => U_PWM - iR = L * di/dt

That’s simply rubbish! You can’t relate those two limit settings. Especially when considering internal resistance in motor. Have a look at the motor and battery currents.

That’s true. I’m using the numbers I’m using because these are the real number for hummies motor.

Good thing is I learned to be flexible :slight_smile:

Here with your 0.007 Ohm internal resistance. Better?

Still not sure what you want to prove …

@devin, we are working with different assumptions!

My assumption is that your calculation is rubbish and that the two current LIMITS are NOT RELATED.

My sheet and calculation show exactly that.

Motor and battery current ARE related of course via the overall power. Power in battery = power of motor plus power of motor loss. Here two more calculations. Now the settings are that both have your bloody 78 Amp battery limit. Motor current is way different because speed is different. Power in battery is the same. Going fast with 78A from battery:

Going slow with 78A from battery:

sure, see above.

both my high speed and low speed scenario show exactly that. Actual battery current is around 78 amps in both scenarios while motor current is 139 amps when going fast and 390 amps when going slow.

Power produced in both scenarios is very high!

And not many motors are going to survive 390 amps … :yum:

On the contrary @devin. But in order to do a proper calculation we have to assume a current speed to calculate the voltage inside the motor.

Your motor will only ever produce this amount of power when accelerating or going up a very steep hill.

Yes, the power is somewhat unrealistic, but YOU said 78amps battery current. I always said that your scenario is not very realistic! Cruising at 8kmh will be a lot lower power and we will no way have 78amps.

What was it you wanted to prove?

don’t know what you want to prove now?

Most people have a battery limit of 40 amps to 50 amps, maybe even a 40 amp fuse. The enertion space cell is rated at 40 amps if I’m not mistaken.

And they can reach 8kmh and higher. What is the issue?

btw, our motors are rated from 1500 Watts to maybe 2500 Watts.

that’s just absolute and utter rubbish.

Of course we can go to 8kmh without exceeding 78 amps battery limit. I even stated that most boards have a limit that is even lower and they get to 8 kmh :slight_smile:

You stated yourself about 100 times in this forum that hummie went 44 kmh. And we know that his battery limit is 70A as stated in many posts.

Did you push him with your bike to go to that speed?

Continuing the discussion from What's Your Top Speed?: