I Blew my 10s bms. Why?

I was very excited to power up my esk8 build yesterday for the first time. Hit the power button and… Bang she goes. small spark and bang. seems to center around the p- port on the bms. also not sure if one battery cell was already half chared before or after nut after the bang i noticed this was the caseNON-BYPAST bms ![Capture|586x482] (upload://iBtzzAPEX8gYAB7nu5bzbUcSd1s.jpeg) my bms is an su power 10s. the circuit is as the diagram above. i am bout to check for possible shorts now but has anyone else had the same and know a solution??Capture

1 Like

this is above my pay grade but have you connected it to a 12s battery

3 Likes

I hate to admit that FAFO is asking a legitimate question. Is your battery 12s that’s what I’m seeing too… @zzoko

1 Like

definitly a 10s batter made up of 5x 2s lipo batterys.

1 Like

what about this wiring diagram. is it correct to you?

1 Like

Why does the wiring diagram show 4s packs in series? That would make it 12s.

Before connecting any BMS, Use a volt meter and start at the ground wire of the balance lead. The first pin next to the ground should measure 3.8v or so, then 7.6v and so on. If you advance one pin and the voltage is less than the previous pin you’ve got them wired out of order.

Also this should go without saying, RTFM. Not assuming this was your fault though. There could be a solder blob or some defect with the BMS.

One more thing is anti-spark connectors whenever possible.

my bad. i should have clarified that this diagram is not made by me. my wiring is the same but i have 5x 2s batterys. the voltage is 42 on full charge.

i think you could be right about the defect on the bms, i may have broke it by holding my solder on the ports too long and it was justa cheap one anyway. could someone reccomend a better one and what is RTFM?

1 Like

Read The *ing Manual.

I dont have any bms recommendations. Am new to this as well. I bought a Daly 12s 60a lifepo4 bms but havent tried to attach it to a battery pack yet. Would have been cheaper direct from China too, but I’m a bit impatient.

i dont belive this one had come with a manual and if it did i would need a translator. what is the diffrence in having lifepo4 bms. voltage?

1 Like

Do you have a high-resolution photograph of the wiring?

2 Likes

Its designed for lifepo4 so yeah, voltage. Overcharge and discharge protection limits.

2 Likes