I DID IT GUYS ! I built it

. I think this is a better remote and cheaper.

4 Likes

I just finished building my first build , and your right: Iā€™m currently building a new board with the experience I gattered.

1 Like

No it shouldnā€™t the vesc should be able to handle it just look up the specs of your vesc

donā€™t go with lipoā€™s they are only a temporary solution because after seeing lots of others with 18650 packs you will strive for one too, as well as lipoā€™s being absolutely horrible to charge.

3 Likes

I keep seeing this and its simply not true. You can build a lipo pack with the same mAh and more amp delivery for half the cost of a liion pack, that includes a BMS so you can use a brick charger. The downside is the charge cycles are drastically reduced, but when you calc the cost per mile itā€™s actually pretty close to that of a liion pack. If you need a cheap pack lipo is definitely something to consider.

2 Likes

Well said @mmaner Lipo packs are also easier to build and require less expensive equipment to build. Recent unfortunate events have also proven that Li-ion packs can be problematic and even dangerous due to improper construction.

5 Likes

I donā€™t know why there is such a prejudiced opinion against lipos. Its been proven over and over again that lipos are as safe as li-ionā€™s if you care for the pack correctlyā€¦the same applies to liion pack. I think a lot of it is that retailers want to sell li-ion packs so the pros get evangelized and the cons do not get discussed.

6 Likes

I think a lot of prejuice against Lipos comes from the fact that they are cheaper and easier to build.

For example, a new builder, who doesnā€™t want to spend much money, would choose to use lipos. Since heā€™s a new builder, he has less experience and is more likely to set them up wrong and damage them, start a fire, etc. This as opposed to an experienced builder who is more likely to shell out for a lion pack, and because he is experienced, he will know how to correctly build the pack and there will be much less chance of damage, fire, etc.

This could explain why so many people are wary of lipos, because those who used lipos are more likely to be inexperienced, and hence more likely to blow them up.

4 Likes

Evolve uses liposā€¦just sayinā€¦lol

1 Like

evolve is known for their TERRIBLE batteries :wink:

2 Likes

Yeah they use crappy low-discharge lipos that suffer from voltage sag, and because they are crappy, have to be replaced every year. Using quality, high discharge lipos would solve their problem.

Lipos and lions both have advantages and disadvantages. Lions last longer, but lipos are capable of a lot higher discharge rate.

4 Likes

Great arguments on lipos and lions, i started with lipos and now im using lith ions, every 2 or 3 months one of my lipos (Zippy Flightmax) would start to puff up, so i changed to 18650ā€™s, no more puffy batteries.

Hmm, every 2-3 months seems really excessive. Iā€™ve got 2 boards running lipos for over a year. The only time the lipos have puffed is when I ran the boards into a curb and ruptured one of the cells. Other than that, theyā€™ve been running fine. And this is without a BMS (I know, Iā€™m being risky and stupid), and charging them in series directly with a 50.4 Volt charger.

1 Like

Its weird, the zippies i bought from HK directly were the ones puffing up while the ones i bought on ebay didnt, (i marked them by dates and where i purchased from) Maybe HK batteries were older, but, im happy w/18650 batts,

1 Like

@pennyboard @squishy654 @GrecoMan Evolve actually uses prismatic liion hence the bad discharge rates

3 Likes

I have had very good results using Turnigy hard packs, 60/120C 5ah Been running them for over a year.

3 Likes

how hard can a 60 year old possibly ride?

:wink:

Well, I think you would be surprised. A year ago I was breaking the 30mph barrier but now Iā€™m just playing it safe and keeping under 20 mph but I do a lot of hill climbing which can be hard on equipment. Skating is only a secondary sport for me though. My main sport is surfing, preferably in overhead surf.

5 Likes

not sure if your a grandpa but if soā€¦

coolest. grandpa. ever.

6 Likes

I am a grandpa.

10 Likes