I did the math: single 6374 beats dual 6354

To be clear, I love me a 6374 single-drive too.

But I was saying that electrical efficiency or battery range is not why I like dual so much better. It’s because now you have two wheels biting the ground instead of one wheel. Also redundancy – if you have a failure with two independent drivetrains you probably still have braking ability and can probably still get home without pushing or crashing. (It’s of-note here that most dual builds are not two independent drivetrains)

single 5065 < single 6355 < single 6374 < dual 5065 < dual 6355 < dual 6374

So yea, I’d rather have dual 5065 than single 6374 even if it’s less power

Yeah the two points of traction thing is undeniably valid. Wondering if the ugly but light weight solution though would be to use a wider driven wheel (flywheels seem to be very narrow by modern standards) with a larger contact patch… Redundancy is a good point too, but I feel that if you know how to foot break (which every e skate rider probably ought to learn), and otherwise design for reliability, it might not be so crazy to trade the redundancy for weight.

1 Like

It also has a lot to do with what your priorities are and if you want a toy or a tool.

Some folks might want to optimize for range while others want to optimize for weight while others want to optimize for reliability and yet others might want to optimize for performance and yet others might want to optimize for compact size and still yet others might want to optimize for cost. Those folks might pick single 6374, single 5065, dual 6355, dual 6374, dual 5065, and single 6355, respectively. They all have their merits. I’m in the third group: reliability.

4 Likes

well that is a good point right there Skills that are necessary on analog boards are still necessary on esk8. More so I would imagine with the speeds some of these builds achieve. Hand slides, hard carve slides are all very good ways of saving your ass but for those of us that are getting a bit long in the tooth for extreme manoeuvres the foot brake is awesome.

This is the second time a term of yours has me questioning and for that I thank you first was “drinking the koolaid” (for that guy who did the ios app) and please put me out of my misery for that one. and now this. Please elaborate on the dual drive-train thing.

1 Like

here’s the newest single-motor on the planet - with a gear drive.

Of course, the single gear drive completely fixes the belt slippage issue.

Check out the review. End-product works exactly as predicted.

1 Like

@dareno I’m referring to a system where the only connection between the left and right wheels is the battery. There are 2 separate radio receivers paired to the same remote and no “split PPM” or “CANBUS” connection between them, so that one ESC can fail and not cause a failure in the other one. I suppose you could even use 2 separate batteries, but I haven’t yet seen that done in practice.

1 Like

@topcloud Gear drive is not direct drive. Direct drive is hub motors (radial direct drive) or Carvon-style (axial direct drive)

Some manufacturers might try to say otherwise for marketing purposes, but a quick internet search clears everything up.

1 Like

Tl:Dr

Your topic title is wrong. Forget costs

Dual anything > single anything in anyway you put it except cost. And if you say otherwise, it’s just a matter of how the board is setup.

Efficiency, power, braking. Dual can and will always win, it’s just a matter of how it’s configured.

3 Likes

and you can use the traction control on the vesc with the two which is really nice. amazing and never slips in the wetness or when you unweight a wheel around a sharp turn.

I bet the two is more efficient too even with the drivetrain loss.

1 Like

LOL! That was my gut reaction too.

Theory and papers often go right out the window when actual street testing happens.

2 Likes

wait till you see their new single drive… with a 5095. No, that’s not a typo. We’re going to be doing some AB customer upgrades soon, swapping out their old drives for the new ones.

2 Likes

less heat, more load distribution… the long term benefits are better as well.

2 Likes

he specified the dual system motors had about 2.5 times as much electrical resistance as the single motor…

so the single had lower thrust, but it also had greater electrical to mechanical conversion efficiency during full throttle acceleration (green line, top left chart).

That’s what happend in any experiment, first you go like “perfect, got great result, and numbers match” then when you take it to practice everythinkg goes Hiroshima XD

1 Like