I found the dead cell!

So idk if this is really worth a post or not, but dammit im glad i finally found it. I knew there was something off with my battery. It kept drifting and i kept manually balancing it… hoping to magically find the problem and I did. I noticed one P group kept dipping off… so with my NESE modules i pulled that group. Pulled every cell out of that P group and balanced each one… when i went back to the whole pack. The other P groups had dropped some so i dropped each cell with a 18650 flashlight out of the pulled group again manually. Well this time when i went to put the group back… all the packs P groups had drifter by .001 or so and i wanted perfect(also I found this a bit odd)… so i watched what group was having a had time charging and i found it. 3.915 was that NESE packs voltage… i measured a few and they were 3.917. I said huh… so I kept checking and i found this guy. 20190404_135700 20190404_135745 Anyways, sorry for the long write up but maybe maybe someone will find this helpfull. And i just really felt proud for finally finding what I sensed was wrong.

13 Likes

Nice catch! Luckly you have NESE modules and can be up and running soon.

Do you know what made it go bad? Or was it totally random

7 Likes

Ikr, the whole reason I bought NESE. They just saved my 12s8p pack i hope😅 Nooo clue, these a BRAND new and only had like 5 charges on them… i did go to iowa with my board and it was cold, but i tried to keep it inside and i didnt even ride itXD

2 Likes

I doubt that your traveling had much to do with it :thinking:

Gets me spooked for my large welded pack

Me either but legit, thats the only thing I could even grasp at causing it. Kinda scary lol But yeah its the price of learning and having a cool board… at least bc i started this to learn a lil and have a fun rideXD

oh shit, is the the cells i sent you?

glad you found your problem though.

1 Like

Yeah man, ive been struggling to figure it out. I ordered two extra than what my pack holds just in case though. So I have a genuine replacment. I’m manually charging to match Voltages

3 Likes

Aaaaand 3 hrs later… Its all balanced… i hope😅

1 Like

Ahhhh, but is this somehow due to the use of the NESE module?

2 Likes

Im no electrician, but i dont see how. But idk

1 Like

Last time i couldnt get the whole pack to charge up to 50.4 and float charge. It would only reach 49.? something… And thats where my suspicions started. So if it reaches 50.4 Ill consider all systems healthy. Im using a 2 amp charger so it might take some time20190404_180742

2 Likes

Shit IDK. I also am no electrition

3 Likes

I’m no electrician either but eboards are legit :+1:t3:

2 Likes

I did just have suspicions of maybe my other charger ive been using. Its a meanwell LED ballast that turns 100-240V into an adjustable 48-50.4V 1.2-5amp. Idk maybe, no electrician XD. Just shooting in the darkXD or maybe it was just a bad cell lol who knows. Glad to see my pack starting to look healthy. Maybe some lights and bluetooth later

1 Like

Meh, its stuck here 20190404_201412 20190404_201429 …its late. Ill look into it more later

Due to defects in the cell the internal resistance can get crazy high. Basically it won’t charge but it won’t damage the other cells either, because of the same high IR. So it just stays there being a dud.

2 Likes

Could you take pictures of the pack where the faulty cell was in? In which slot was it?

1 Like

It was in the the 3rd P group 2nd to the end… are you asking to see inside the nese box at the tabs? They appeared fine

no, my interest is on the outside where the cell was.

Im afraid I dont quite follow then… do you just want a picture of the exterior of the module found with a dead cell?