I made it! Hawaii bound with my board!

I actually no a guy that lives in Peru that did just that. He lives there 2 weeks and home 2 weeks. Orders all of his supplies to home and then ships them via ground transport and makes electrical crap for people, makes a fortune.

3 Likes

Is this guy from Peru here in the forum? :sweat_smile:

I get that, in theory the battery is much safer in what ever device enclosure itā€™s in than just a plain battery on itā€™s own.

1 Like

I wouldnā€™t say so. There are rules how to pack batteries if you ship them with ground service. If you pack them like this they the same safe as inside of something which is just covert by some paperā€¦ Just how a laptop batter inside a laptop is more safe packed than a spare one?

1 Like

Well itā€™s much harder to penetrate the battery if itā€™s inside of a box inside of a laptop, much much easier to go through a carboard box and some foam packing.

1 Like

Just want to point out that the battery size limit was not decided arbitrarily, but for a Very important reason

In low atmosphere, standard LIPO batteries expand slightly during the first hour of a flight, after that they deflate after acclimatising to the lower pressure - This on its own is fine, especially for Lion packs as they dont expand due to the hard casing.

The real problem happens if a problem causes thermal runaway, due to the lower pressure the packs turn into a small, high temperature explosive. It lasts long enough to cause thermal damage to the structure of the air frame, and with enough pressure, it can quite easily cause a micro fracture. If the air-frame isnt 100% / brand new (which they definitely are not) it can breach causing all sorts of dangers.
Mix this in with normally the batteries are in a semi solid casing, which are normally water proof, this can also make the explosive effect even worse.

well there is my two pence (also I dont actually know that much about battery tech, but I am pretty decent with explosive compounds ā€¦ that and I work(ed) on a RAF base, and thatā€™s their excuse for why we arenā€™t allowed to bring large batteries on board AWACS)

3 Likes

Naw, he doesnā€™t make skateboard batteries. I mean I guess he could, but mostly works on industrial repairs and e-bike projects.

Maybe lifpo batteries are they way to go here eh?

And guys If you have an Alextech battery donā€™t just leave it when your going on planes leave it when your going in public.

1 Like

I thought itā€™s our @Eboosted ā€¦ Just read Peru and thought directly at him

2 Likes

Nope, different guy. I actually donā€™t even know where in Peru, I just see him every once in awhile and we talk about his travels over beer, I get jealous, then drunk, then go about life :slight_smile:.

1 Like

Thankyou Sir this was my original point. Irresponsible behaviour.

3 Likes

Your not wrongā€¦ i guess im just admitting to being a bit more of a responsible dixk lol. I have a bigger battery and tried my best to follow the rules, i just couldnā€™t go a week without skating :smirk:. I would never risk bringing my 12 s or eveb 10s5p with double the sizeā€¦ I remember bigboytoys (RIP) mentioning the sticker trick working on his 12s5p so i dont think they have had to go hard on yet since the only incidents have been hoverboards and samsung phones

1 Like

did your battery just explode and thats all you could type? (jk)

1 Like

Hey yoohoo! I have a 12s4p and a 10s4p Aloha pack on Oahu. 30q , flat pack

1 Like

Nahhhh. Son jumped on me and accidentally sent the comment. Rode my board last nightšŸ¤™šŸ¼. @Arzamenable unfortunately im a little far from you on Kauai, otherwise id be down to ride for sure

1 Like