If i made a $750 board would anyone pre-order it?

Motor doesn’t have to be anything special. Brotherhobby or Maytech or FRCH could do it. Remote would be the Arduino remote.

Integrated deck has 3 layers. The core with cutout for components (multiple veneers together. And a bottom and top of aluminium with something underneath or on top to make sure it doesn’t short with components inside.

Dont know about the deck… but yeh, anyways you got to finish that remote…

Then we would be a bit closer to somewhat ‘‘finalizing’’ all the details and parts… and a further operation would be needed to put everything together etc…

I did like @JLabs motors but maybe @wmj259 could also chime in, if he still has ties to the factory where he ordered his motors…

Though… they need to be the ‘‘strong type’’ like Turnigy’s… since Ive seen some of these poorer design motors disintegrate, like recently on picture thread, this one:

Havent seen turnigy motor witness such fate… the only bad thing about turnigy stock motors from hobbyking, in my opinion, is their inflexible wires and general setup without hall sensors, as halls can be quite useful, I think, especially for hill and smooth acc/decc setups.

And yeh… complecting parts wouldnt be the only trouble, someone would need to tune in the software side of things, for the remote, for the vesc and perhaps also for the bms system.

1 Like

I am having a stab at making an integrated deck design currently but “real” (boring) work is getting in the way. My idea is a fibreglass moulded design with a core material And woven fibreglass in key areas. If it works it could be a part of the plan.

This shape is just a first look. Easy enough to change in the next gen!

4 Likes

Thanks for the mention. All the details for ordering a quantity of motors are available in the group buy I hosted. Prices are very good especially for the work and customizations they did. The shipping may look expensive but divided across all the Motors it comes out about the same price to hobbyking.com. If anyone’s going to buy motors just give me a message so I can let them know.

Thanks! @wmj259 what do you think would be the ‘lead time’ now?

I know it took quite some time to dial in all the required parameters and u had to make lots of changes on the way… but let’'s say… if we ordered 20motors now, would that be even possible?

What is the mininum ‘‘quota’’ / quantity they ask to order?

Minimum would be 5 for each type of motor. For example I would need to get 5 Sensored 192s. I can’t do 3 Sensored and 2 unsensored. As for build time it was around 20-30 days(my memory is little rusty on these dates, but around that time line I believe) with shipping being at most 1 week.

@wmj259 Well, 1-2months lead time is somewhat okay I think…

Yeh, if 5 is the smallest batch no problem… sounds super good, actually…

Do you remember how they charged for shipping? I know it must be on the thread somewhere… but im not really feeling like searching through all the posts for that…

So yeh, if 10-20motors at a time can be ordered… that sounds good.

We would just need to count how many people would be interested, to determine the batch’s size

Shipping probably went by weight, My final box weighed 44lb and cost 157$ by FedEx.

i really like the turn this thread took. You guys make me happy.

3 Likes

@chaka’s OM5065 motors are ridiculously powerful for their size and seem to be holding up well so far (I’m running the 200kv version on a single drive). Might we worth considering.

If you open source the designs and have a whiz bang website with configuration etc… throw a donate button on there and I think you can capture some revenue back for your work… the idea being funding more work/kit buy/etc. A “review my DIY” might be interesting too, as an EE i would like to offer help if you need it. Customers post pics and everyone gets to learn from it.

2 Likes

If going for the 5065 or similar size, then yes, these can be considered.

Though I wouldnt be as focused on motors right now… as the rest of the electronics might bring more discussion to the table…

Remote still needs to be refined, then assembled and put inside of nice 3d printed enclosure.

Deck choices are also still plenty… maybe @longhairedboy should lead this ‘‘step’’ as to figure out whenever it is worth it for someone to fabricate deck with integrated battery enclosures or not… of course, some compromsies can probably be found in china and the deck’s being ordered from there to bring the cost down a bit.

I think this is the point now when ‘we’ - as collective force should decide on whenever the first ‘‘open source’’ esk8 should be a budget or premium model…

If we follow what tesla is doing… then it might as well be that first it is better to produce higher cost model, then gain some momentum (possibly some cash flow, too?) and after the first succesful batches are made, some further progress and thought can be spent on discussing the details about ‘‘budget build’’

It probably wont be a budget model also because of the dual drive, which im now seeing as mandatory if someone wants better brakes or just better performance in general…

2 Likes

All of this sounds fantastic to me! I have yet to build a board and I think something like this would push me to go for it!

1 Like

It all sounds fantastic, but how will we fund the first 20-50 boards? Kickstarter could be a good option. Then you have the problem that ESK8 is spread all over the world, so would you start in the US and have a group working on it there? Or would you send parts to multiple countries?

I honestly think slow and steady is the way to go instead of going all in.

First define the system ( dual drive? Battery? Holow deck or enclosure etc.)

Then as a second step check the sourcing for the parts in bulk. ( inhouse on the forum, talk with manufacturers etc)

Third, once we decided on a “shopping list” get the smalles amount of batches ASAP. Send those parts out to 5-10 trusted individuals with different skillsets and viewpoints. (experienced builders, relaxed carvers, speed demons, vecs settings tinkerers etc.) So eatch will document how they set it up. Shows the reality of it, provides all the information needed and also many conversations and you automatically build the best help desk possible. So we would have 5-10 reviews to help market the idea, meanwhile we have 5-10 beta units which help us to improve the final one, catch any errors or bad ideas and most importantly make it a reality people can check, with ride vlogs, video footage, range test etc.

Just my few cents on it. Show them whats up. Convice them with reality and dont try to sell them a thought/idea.

3 Likes

@lox897 I also think that the first batch should be relatively small, like @Michael319 said. Though it depends on whenever it is possible to make it that small or not.

After everything has been worked out and we would know that it is possible to ‘‘manufacture’’ = assemble boards this way, then someone could take the lead and progress it further.

Im not sure about the kickstarter as of yet… then the size of this whole thing would increase tremendously and the pressure to succeed would probably be a lot higher which might cause some extra stress and tension to make everything done… dunno if that is indeed what would be needed or not.

I’m pretty sure that for 5-20 boards, the sourcing could be done only using this forum alone. If the cost would be too high to produce boards in such quantities, then other options (kickstarter / indieGoGo) might be considered…

Though, I think that for the first batch the main operation would still need to happen inside of usa, partly because of shipping expenses and the difficulties for a single person to ship completed battery pack overseas… (not to mention the weight of the package and added cost of shipping once again).

Thinking from another side about this - If we can make / produce boards for ourselves in decent quality for relatively little cost compared to some higher priced commercial eboards out there… then why it shouldnt be possible to do this in quanity of 5-10, at least for the beginning.

This probably would come to the factor of man hours spent into the process… but this is why it would be important to cooperate and perhaps lay some of the operations in the hands of others, similar like you are now making the remote @lox897

Im not really saying this will be easy as there is a lot of room for miscommunication and some errors… but I think with a strong lead, strong center and clear idea of what needs to be achieved, this could be feasible.

just my 5-10 cents also :smiley:

1 Like

Any update?
Dont let this Idea/thread die please :wink:

1 Like

mh I was also thinking about this and im not sure what the future scenario would be like…

If @lox897 can manage to finish up his remote in the coming 2-3 months, then maybe some other ‘volunteers’’ can come up where to find the rest of the parts…

Then once the parts are found and some ‘willing to buy participants’’ are also found… the process could begin, where someone would maybe take up the role to install the parts n such…

Though this still requires mutual trust and collaboration, communication and some sort of hierarchy I think… so im not sure how easly it can be pulled of from ‘management perspective’

It basically means we need to source internationally the people / talent, just like MiamiBoards has with their team, chaka and his people and other ‘communes’ who are interested in esk8.

If someone knows 3 other people in his area who are willing to take part in this, I think it can work but there still needs to be some plan and of course, willing to pay customers at the end, unless someone has large enough budget for at least 5 pre made boards.

Well I’ve got a few different casings coming in the mail for the remote, and recently realised how stupid I am with ordering a 1s battery and BMS when the Arduino needs minimum 6v grrrr. Maybe a 9V alkaline to start

@lox897 maybe use some voltage booster, if you have one lying around… at least for the experiments happening now :smiley: Though this does compromise your chances of designing and installing components.