Insect swarms or issues while riding

So today I rode through a swarm of gnats at 20mph and unfortunately for me my Visor was open, I did not even see the swarm I was just riding and all of a sudden I hear their little bodies explode all in rapid succession agrainst my helmet and I feel a few hit me in the face it was bad. My right eye took a good hit kinda hurts but it looks fine and it’s not swollen, I still will see a doctor though.

I can only imagine how bad this would have been if I had a half cap instead of a tsg pass.

Do you guys have any bad insect stories while riding?

3 Likes

had a spider on me once while riding, a big like the size of a quarter, needless to say I $%^$%^ hate spiders… i was flailing my arms and im pretty sure people thought i was a crazy person

4 Likes

I had a bee get caught between my face and helmet. Boy was he mad!!!

6 Likes

I smoked a red colored bird with my motorcycle face shield. Knocked my head back a little. That was at 30ish.

Besides that, bugs and dust are common things smacking my face while riding.

3 Likes

The old pass visor…there is a Mar right in the middle from a dragon fly… I try to keep my visor down at all times… unless I’m talking to a rider… I hate everything in my eyes…

4 Likes

I see a lot of mosquito swarms, I try to avoid them. When I can’t I just suffer through it until I can stop. Sucks.

2 Likes

There is a certain spot I ride through that ALWAYS has a huge swarm of gnats. If I don’t have safety glasses on, I slow way down or squint. I’ve caught at least ten with my eyeballs on separate occasions and there are frequently bicycles pulled over right there with the riders rubbing their eyes…

2 Likes

where I live, this year we have a huge burst of caterpillars. Several times, I have had them fall o me off of trees.

3 Likes

I just wear clear safety glasses during the night, or shades during the day.

Had to go without it once, had to squint while riding around. Dusk is the worst time…

2 Likes

My eyes are too sensitive so I try to always have something covering my face

2 Likes

Ha! Funny you mentioned this. Last month I was riding in Las Vegas with @psychotiller, @MoeStooge and @treenutter when we went through, about, 10 swarms of gnats. Got one in my eye, although I was wearing sunglasses. Thought I got it out in Vegas. The next day ,back in Anaheim, I’m rubbing my eye and out comes the gnat. The rest of the day my eye kept tearing and the next day my eye was puffy and crusty and I had to get on a plane to Chicago. Needless to say it was fine the next day. That’s the last time I ride in that part of Vegas.:smile:

7 Likes

Man, frak you dude, I’m.so damned jelouse. Riding with those three cats must have been like hanging out the god, the devil and Ronald Regan :smile:

6 Likes

Pretty much dead on! There all super cool dudes. @psychotiller, @MoeStooge and @treenutter are pretty cool, too. :rofl: You need to get out to Cali!

5 Likes

I’ve been trying for a year, seems like life is dead set in keeping me from getting there :smile:.

I am going to Miami this summer, I’ll get to ride with @Battosaii and his crew I hope.

2 Likes

I’m reading this stuff out loud to my wife right now we are both like :flushed::nauseated_face::face_vomiting:. I rode with my new TSG twice and ended up with the visor opened up a little to get more air. Guess I won’t be doing that anymore. Can’t imagine hitting a dragonfly

2 Likes

Hell yea I can’t wait to ride with you, I have to add you on Facebook so you could join our group

1 Like

Yeah, need more DIY group rides in SoCal. The last two were good but it’s weird riding with mostly Evolve fanboys.

3 Likes

I had an ebike a year ago and i ate like a kilo of musquitoes :smiley:

2 Likes

@mmaner @mccloed ha! Ya this was the best possible way to kick off the riding season. Outstanding company, makes me want to move to CA! I ate several of those gnats tho.

4 Likes

don’t worry in CA I don’t really see too much bugs, not like florida and its flying roaches and swarms :laughing:

2 Likes