Inspiration for new Esk8 inventions

W a vape cartridge. No fire necessary and work with a high discharge cell

hey dude, the BMS question is actually solved. The BMS is ultra smart (may be too smart for a general non power user), but costs a lot as well. 140 -160 euro depending on the current capability.

https://www.energusps.com/shop/category/battery-management-4

1 Like

You could easily put one in 12v dc

1 Like

What about an easy way to create enclosures ? And an easy way to fix enclosures to the board without having to screw anything into the board ? And all that waterproof ?

:slight_smile:

4 Likes

I think it would be amazing if someone was able to produce an electric skateboard that could easily convert to a motorized SUP board. The hubs of the wheels could act as propellers by either rotating the truck or axles 90deg or attaching some sort of fins onto the hubs. Something like this wrapped in PU or pneumatics/airlessā€¦https://youtu.be/Us8qirIV4mw Even if it didnā€™t go fast in the water, it would be a blast. I have had this idea on my mind but I donā€™t have the tools nor the CAD capabilities to make this happen. I imagine having two separate foam or inflatable attachments for each end of the deck to make the board float, but integrating the propellers into the drivetrain/wheel hubs. Some of these new jet boards are awesome. It seems like a huge engineering challenge but with the innovation I have seen on this forum it doesnā€™t seem impossible. If anyone wants to team up on this idea shoot me a PM. AMPHIB-ESK8

1 Like

I would like to see a working dead man switch that causes the board to do a full brake when no one stands on the board.

Would be suitable for emergency situations whe you are forced to jump off your deck as well as sort of a handbrake while waiting at a stop or having a chatā€¦

Have seen some sketches of such thing but never a finished solution.

Might work with a strain gauge and some logic boardā€¦

big roadbump and a little airtime could make you eat pavement tho.

Hmm true. Would need a timeout and the option to switch it off completely.

Now this is an idea. This is doable with a foot switch. Iā€™m not sure about how the programming in the vesc would go but if the vesc is capable, thatā€™s all it would take.

I saw some futuristic board on kickstarter a cpl of years back. it had ā€œartificial intelligenceā€ā€¦ One of the features was that ā€œit could tell if a person was on the boardā€, also had a charging dock for the remote where it flew around in some magnetic field, levatating while charging. Personally it just smelled like alot of bullshit. Berly anything bout the actuall performance of the board, just alot of 5th element engineering.

Why not just do it like jet skis, snowmobiles and quads do and have a ankle strap tide to some kind of kill switch. Same way you would wear a leash for snowboarding or surfing

1 Like

I am not talking about some bs shishi but a real savety feature to bring your board to a full stop when you canā€™t. Minimzing the chance of it seriously damaging something/someone when turned into a fairly heavy projectileā€¦

Yeah that would be an rather unsexy but proven alternativeā€¦

The plug just must not vibrate itself loose in any case. Worst case would be that the plug would not come loose at all keeping the board attached to you as :anchor: :grinning:

1 Like

A plug with a solid casing thatā€™s made to ā€œbrakeā€ under stress would keep it from just coming undone. The benefit in being a less technical safety feature is if for some reason you have technical failure that makes you start uncontrollably accelerating you could pull it and ride it out.

an anti-crash system like Teslaā€™s autopilotā€¦

OOH! advanced cruiser, something like this which locks on to an object in front and mirrors their speeds (and maintains distance)

You could make modes that are controlled with the remote (eg; cruising or high power). orrr you could theoretically put the big capacity one at a constant rate of discharge or a smooth curve for more battery life while having the other pack fill in the rest of the necessary power

1 Like

I was thinking of Theft since i live in a city full of it. Now realistically speaking the most common way they would steal your eboard is grab n go or just taking it from an unprotected location. or maybe armed robberyā€¦ or getting jumped

I was thinking of putting a gps tracker and found some like these; GPS Tracker 1 GPS Tracker 2 (seems to be better imo)

Another thing is that they probably cant use the board without a controller, so always keep your controller with you.

Now since the thief wonā€™t have the ability to use it and/or sell it, he will try to part it out, and thatā€™s where I would use complex screws instead of normal ones, and protect the rest by making it not your openable with average tools (for example a lot of people own the T tool, so instead take that out and put something proprietary or something unique that no one can find easily), and after the thief find he cant open it, odds are he will just leave it/dump it

We sort of have what @sebike was asking for in the form of capacitors (guess super capacitors now are the new hype but just high capacity capacitors, good at discharging quickly and can infinitely recharge from what I can tell). That said also what you mentioned on adjustable modes the metr.at module and app allow you to easily switch between slow, normal, and fast modes changing the battery and motor max current settings via the bluetooth connection (just swipe on the mode you want to change to on a phone and good to go).

Regarding theft I just put a hole in my board and use a regular bike lock to lock it up to bike racks, someone who was smart enough could unbuckle the batteries and disconnect them from the board and take them but itā€™s like an $80 loss at worst for me and so far no thieves smart enough to do that and dumb enough to not just get a job.

I have started my next project which is an Esk8 Dyno Active/passive. Adjustable for all Esk8s including 4wd.

4 Likes

someone just mentioned that in my thread

1 Like