Interactions with the public

I hear “You should patent that” pretty much daily, along with “You should sell them” and “What is that thing?”

1 Like

Oh and I should mention interactions with the local Rottweiler are not pleasant, he really doesn’t like E-boards for some reason. Another reason why more speed can be safer in certain situations.

3 Likes

Finnish people are really reserved and shy so they just stare when I have gone past them. But mostly I get comments from tourists asking me is it electric and how do you control it or how do you steer it (DUH) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Dogs want to play with my board and reindeers just stare at it :eyes:

I get asked all the time about my boards. Marbel and DIY. I let folks ride my Marbel (in mode 1 “starter”) when they’re cool. Swapped boards w/ another esk8 guy on Alki last week who had a gen 1 evolve:

Surprisingly nice little board - but H E A V Y !

When i ride by other skateboarders (long and short) sometimes we stop and talk, or they’ll stop if i’m waiting for GF to catch up and ask questions. Usually - what is it, where did you get it, and how much? I’ve told multiple folks to look up esk8 builders and ES to learn how to build their own.

All friendly and i’ll be the first to say - just a lazy IT guy who likes to skate! Never an issue, but i’m also a friendly guy and never had any attitude from other skaters so far.

@CSN - i’d also like to encourage the flashing of esk8 riders. Just might lead to a few more crashes…

1 Like

( . ) ( . )

Here’s another for you

1 Like

I get the usual “cheater” from other skaters, but overall I just get people interested in the board. Kids seem to go crazy over it.

It’s funny…I’ve had pro skaters ride my board and say truly positive things…

It’s the casual skaters that say shit lol

I really don’t think it’s the fact that hate it…it’s just they need to put up a “front” that they are hard core purist sk8rs … Jealousy? A little…or a lot… But I guaranty if you called them out on the spot put them on an Esk8 right there and then… I bet they would totally change their tune :wink: One day I’ll be lucky to video tape such encounter

2 Likes

I get the cheater one a lot, usually from people on bikes obviously trying to lose weight.

I get the shark tank and patent and kickstarter and indiegogo stuff a lot too. When i finally tell them that you can’t really patent something comprised of a combination of open source and patented parts, they sort of wander off into something they did or made or are thinking about doing. That’s usually when i start flipping my board back on and checking my chin strap.

I got whistled at last weekend, that was refreshing.

If somebody shouts “where did you get that” I make a point to brake, hit reverse, and ride back to them to have a chat. 99 times out of a 100 it doesn’t result in a sales lead but i still enjoy spreading the esk8 love.

But mostly what i get are respect nods. Usually from the more serious cyclists on $7000 ikes wearing $900 outfits. I guess they see me out there in my motorcycle helmet and pads and they know i’m not fucking around, so i get a lot of smile-nods, up-nods, and even some hang loose hand gestures. Because they’re not fucking around either and they respect people who aren’t fucking around.

dogs though… dogs hate these things. dogs will drag thier walkers to give chase. And it makes the suicide squirrels even more suicidal.

give him my email address lol

3 Likes

I don’t know why the “how do you steer it” is so common, I almost never got that on my unpowered board.

1 Like

Skaters say shit, but I think it’s more of just talking shit than anything. Usually it’s at the top of the hill they just skated up. Otherwise they’re just interested in trying it out.

I’m sure there’s a bit of jealousy too! Heck, I’d be jealous too! Except for that one longboarder last week that blew past me down the bridge. We got to the top around the same time, but my board was having issues that morning and I had to take my EGO. I’ve blown past him before, so I’m sure he felt triumphant.

We’re not cheating. We are WINNING… at life. It says so right there on my remote control. :smirk:

First question is usually “how fast does that thing go?” and comments about how cool that is or just the incredulous stare. All good interactions so far. But yeah, to dogs, these things are like dog whistles covered in gravy and squirrel meat. They go NUTS. I usually try to slow down and coast by, more for the sake of the owner’s and their precious rotator cuffs.

I did blow a guys mind when he saw me magically cruising up a hill. He had lots of questions.

I did get stung by a yellow jacket that got sucked into my shirt, but he was an asshole anyway.

2 Likes

i once towed a 250lb man up a hill by his hand on his lovely wooden-surfboard style cruiser longboard. THAT got some attention. We weren’t exactly crawling, either. That happened while i was out street testing @Photorph 's first build.

All he could do was giggle uncontrollably and his wife was clapping from her bicycle.

3 Likes

The cop actually took a picture of the logo on my board to look up later. It’s what I tell people to do now when they’re interested. Those business cards you included dried up quick. Maybe I should get a QR code sticker to your site and stick it to the side of the enclosure.

2 Likes

Where we’re going, we don’t need hills!

3 Likes

I’ve not had a three way myself but suggest the wife next time

2 Likes

i know right? “i’ve already raced up all the hills around here.” lol

When I was 6 I saw a skateboarder turn just by leaning while I was on my bicycle. That was when I knew I wanted skateboards, after-all it was handsfree

Not so hands free with a remote :frowning:

but the turning is!

Yep it is!